Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving data to Netgear Ready NAS

Options
  • 20-08-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

My friend needs to move data from a shared server onto his own private server and was wondering how to go about doing it. I told him I'd help him out as I'm just finish my A+ & Network+ and am looking for any hands on experience available, but I've never done anything like this.

He works in a shared office and has four other people working with him. He was recommended and recently purchase a Netgear Ready NAS and he needs to move his stuff off the shared server as it's causing friction with the other company that he shares the office with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mervin J Minky

There is over 500GB of data that needs to be moved and the office is running on a 100Mb connection if that's help. I'd need to move it as quick as possible during office hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I'd use RSYNC, RichCopy or RoboCopy.
    You can throttle the network bandwidth so not it kill the network for the other because from the sounds of it, this is running an low-end / consumer level networking gear.

But your friend should be more worried about about other companies been able to access his data and network traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Moving 500GB of data over a 100Mb network would take around 11 hours plus it would totally throttle the entire network so moving data during office hours would not be advisable.

Is the server onsite? If so you could attach the NAS directly to the File Server and transfer the data via USB. It would take around 2 and a half hours as USB 2.0 runs at 480Mbps.

I'd use RSYNC, RichCopy or RoboCopy.
    You can throttle the network bandwidth so not it kill the network for the other because from the sounds of it, this is running an low-end / consumer level networking gear.

So if I throttle the network bandwidth to say 50Mbps won't that then take 24 hours to move the data across? I downloaded a copy of Robocopy GUI so I'll be using that to transfer the data across.
    Raekwon wrote: »
    Moving 500GB of data over a 100Mb network would take around 11 hours plus it would totally throttle the entire network so moving data during office hours would not be advisable.

Is the server onsite? If so you could attach the NAS directly to the File Server and transfer the data via USB. It would take around 2 and a half hours as USB 2.0 runs at 480Mbps.

I would have physical access to the server and I like the thought of it only taking a few hours as opposed to a day. What are the drawbacks of using this method over transferring the data over the network?

I have to do this job tomorrow so was planning on transferring the data directly from the server onto the NAS via a CAT5 cross over cable with Robocopy.

Would this method be fast and reliable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

So there is no issue with you taking the Server offline while you are moving the data?
    I have to do this job tomorrow so was planning on transferring the data directly from the server onto the NAS via a CAT5 cross over cable with Robocopy.

Would this method be fast and reliable?

I actually dropped into my friends office this afternoon for a quick look and his data is actually stored on a Buffalo Terastation NAS and not a server. He also has nearly 900GB of data and not 500GB :rolleyes:

So basically he needs to move all of the data off one NAS onto another.

His files are mounted on his desktop and I was wondering if it was simply a case of move the files from the mount straight onto his new NAS via Robocopy (or even cut and paste)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

I actually dropped into my friends office this afternoon for a quick look and his data is actually stored on a Buffalo Terastation NAS and not a server. He also has nearly 900GB of data and not 500GB :rolleyes:

So basically he needs to move all of the data off one NAS onto another.

His files are mounted on his desktop and I was wondering if it was simply a case of move the files from the mount straight onto his new NAS via Robocopy (or even cut and paste)?

No way I'd try copy/paste from a Windows OS (I assume your mate is using Windows) for that amount of data - I'd pay for a robust file copying utility or use something like robocopy from the command line.

You can install a SSH add-on for the ReadyNAS and you may be able to use use robust linux utilities to copy the data. It may also be possible to mount the Buffalo share onto the ReadyNAS, and do the file copy that way.

Note, Netgear don't support the device if you enable SSH access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Whether you utilise 100Mb network or USB 2 do take into account that you won't.get anywhere near those speeds.

Fast copy is another great program for copying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have a Seagate GoFlex Home NAS which is very similar to the Netgear Ready.

You can FTP directly to it, and that is by far the best way to move the files. Depending on the FTP client you choose, I would recommend Filezilla, you can tell it for example to upload one file at a time and even specify the amount of bandwidth to use. Just set it for something low enough that it won't hog all the bandwidth and kick off the upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

i have a readynas duo v1. I transferred 600gb, from Nas to Mac laptop.

I had it set up both clients on a 1gb Switch nothing else connected. Took 22 hours.

Did it again from Nas to USB HDD, set up a backup job within the NAS frontend, 600GB, 30 hours. Nowhere close to specified speeds.
    You can also use the inbuilt backup feature to transfer Nas to server , Nas to Nas, External Usb to Nas etc...

Overall was not impressed with the speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

The types/makes of drives and the type and size of files being copied also infuence size copy speeds greatly.

Transferring large amounts of data will always be a tedious process unfortunately.

Advertisement