Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repayment of Social Welfare

Options
  • 20-08-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hi

the situation a friend of mine is in is as follows:

He was in full time education in england for a year, when he completed his studies in September 2010 he came home to ireland and signed on with the local social welfare as he couldn't get work. he was 23 at the time and was living at home so he was means tested and was only receiving about €110-140 from the social welfare. He has been to a couple of interviews with the SW and is still looking for work but recently he received a letter saying that he had wrongfully been receiving social welfare payments and now owes them €5,500.

He wasn't given any reason as to why he owes them the money and I am wondering has anyone else been in a similar situation and has any advice. He feels he hasn't done anything wrong and has been upfront with the SW about his living arrangements etc

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Write back and ask why,get proof of postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eyfm5 wrote: »
    hi

the situation a friend of mine is in is as follows:

He was in full time education in england for a year, when he completed his studies in September 2010 he came home to ireland and signed on with the local social welfare as he couldn't get work. he was 23 at the time and was living at home so he was means tested and was only receiving about €110-140 from the social welfare. He has been to a couple of interviews with the SW and is still looking for work but recently he received a letter saying that he had wrongfully been receiving social welfare payments and now owes them €5,500.

He wasn't given any reason as to why he owes them the money and I am wondering has anyone else been in a similar situation and has any advice. He feels he hasn't done anything wrong and has been upfront with the SW about his living arrangements etc

It might have something to do with the residency rule. If you leave they country and return then you need to show that you were resident for two years in order to claim benefits. But best to contact welfare inspector and find out for sure.

Advertisement