Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a job soon.... what do I do now?

Options
  • 20-08-2012 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I'm on JSA.

I'm starting a full time job the last week in October.

I'm assuming that I'll be paid monthly, and I'll be paid a back month.

So, I think my pay will begin like this:

end of October: no pay
    end of November: one week's pay (i.e. for the week I'll have worked in October)
    end of December: one month's pay (i.e. for the month of November)

I have only just found out about this job offer (which I have accepted) and I am going to inform my local social welfare office a.s.a.p. I'm just wondering, based on the pay schedule I've outlined above, when will my JSA payments end and/or change (how will my payments be affected, precisely?)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Don't tell them until your new job start paying you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Don't tell them until your new job start paying you?

Don't do that.

OP, I'm not 100% sure since it's monthly.
    You would have to tell them when you start the job so you can sign off otherwise it's considered fraud.

I suppose you could go to the community welfare officer untill you get paid to keep you going for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

You will have to sign off immediately when you start work (I don't see the point in notifying the social welfare office before then). You are not entitled to any social welfare once you start work. If you are able to save, now's a good time to start!

Otherwise, your options are:

1. meet with the community welfare office. Tell him/her that you have a job offer but cannot afford to take it without some sort of allowance.. Hopefully they'll write you a cheque.

2. Ask your employer for an advance.

3. Bring your new contract along to the bank or credit union and ask for an overdraft or short-term loan.

4. Borrow money from a family member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

tony81 wrote: »
    You are not entitled to any social welfare once you start work.

That depends on how many hours you are getting paid for though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was in a similar situation to the OP in 2006,was offered and accepted a job but wasnt due to start until 6 weeks later,went down to local office to inform them on the day I was told I'd been hired and my payments were stopped then and there,even though I wouldn't receive a payment from my new job for 7 weeks.

Went to the CWO and she basically told me that I would've avoided a lot of hassle for myself if I just had said nothing to the local office until I received my first wage packet from the new job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

whirlpool wrote: »
    That depends on how many hours you are getting paid for though, right?

In the absence of any other info, I was assuming a 5-day week of at least 30 hours.
    Was in a similar situation to the OP in 2006,was offered and accepted a job but wasnt due to start until 6 weeks later,went down to local office to inform them on the day I was told I'd been hired and my payments were stopped then and there,even though I wouldn't receive a payment from my new job for 7 weeks.

Went to the CWO and she basically told me that I would've avoided a lot of hassle for myself if I just had said nothing to the local office until I received my first wage packet from the new job.

I definitely wouldn't tell the dole office I was due to start a new job in several months, simply because there's too high a chance they'll stop the payment immediately.

However, as for waiting until you get your first pay packet.. well, I wouldn't but I'm sure a lot of people do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I'm on JSA.

I'm assuming that I'll be paid monthly, and I'll be paid a back month.

So, I think my pay will begin like this:

end of October: no pay
    end of November: one week's pay (i.e. for the week I'll have worked in October)
    end of December: one month's pay (i.e. for the month of November)

I have only just found out about this job offer (which I have accepted) and I am going to inform my local social welfare office a.s.a.p. I'm just wondering, based on the pay schedule I've outlined above, when will my JSA payments end and/or change (how will my payments be affected, precisely?)

Thanks.

Step one,sign off online on the day you start work.

Step two,your local cwo will in exceptional circumstances give you a loan to tide you over until pay-day,contact them and ask.

mp22 wrote: »
    Step one,sign off online on the day you start work.

Step two,your local cwo will in exceptional circumstances give you a loan to tide you over until pay-day,contact them and ask.

So, there's a chance that the cwo will leave me without any income at all until the day I get paid (which in this case could be five weeks) ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

So, there's a chance that the cwo will leave me without any income at all until the day I get paid (which in this case could be five weeks) ?
    I've no idea you will have to ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It's very rare that'll happen. You *may* be living quite poorly till then (compared to how are you now). But if you do explain and show proof you should be fine.

• Advertisement

Okay, thanks for all the information! Much appreciated.

Advertisement