Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window/ french door install + brick work

Options
  • 20-08-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi

I am looking to get all the windows and doors downstairs at the back of the house taken out (three small windows, one aluminum door) and replaced with one large window and French doors. The job involves some block work, window and doors install and finishing. Do window installers usually look after the whole job or should I contact a builder. Job is in Dublin city centre (small terrace house).

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful,

Any guidance or advice welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Get a builder,usually you get all the openings sorted, then the window supplier will make the windows/doors to fit the openings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 andrewsunbeam

I was hoping one would do everything so I could get the job complete in one go [a day or so] thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Contact some window / door suppliers for a quote. Most have thier own builders that they work with. So the builder would arrive first and start making the opening, then the windows guy calls later.

They should have the opening made and doors fitted in a day, then usually some making good the following day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi

I am looking to get all the windows and doors downstairs at the back of the house taken out (three small windows, one aluminum door) and replaced with one large window and French doors. The job involves some block work, window and doors install and finishing. Do window installers usually look after the whole job or should I contact a builder. Job is in Dublin city centre (small terrace house).

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful,

Any guidance or advice welcome

Thanks

Have you considered the structural and thermal implications?
    Ie the probable need for lintel and separately the need for insulation/ thermal continuity in the walls around the new opes

Advertisement