Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Told to leave during notice period

Options
  • 20-08-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me of my entitlements if I am asked to leave work during my notice period. I handed in my notice and agreed to give two weeks, but on the first day of the notice period, the "boss" told me it would be best if I leave the office before midday, on that day, this was at about 10:30 am. Am I entitled to the full two week notice period pay? Can he actually do this, giving me like 1 1/2 hours to leave the office?

There have been no confrontations or any disciplinary issues at all, I just felt it was time to move on!

Any advice or pointers in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You are entitled to your notice period. And yes, if they want they can send you on your way because you are still being paid. Its called Garden Leave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_leave

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's called Garden Leave and yes they are entitled to do so; they still need to pay you for the full notice period including holidays etc. The main reason behind it is simply from security point of view; you could steal company data, alter it or simply don't give a damn what you enter before leaving.

Take the cash and enjoy the time off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mechainical

Hi Cuddlesworth,

Thanks for such a quick reply, this information is great.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mechainical

Thanks Nody and RJ, I figured I was entitled to the pay, but just was not 100% sure.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

You are definitely entitled to pay for your notice period. After handing in my resignation, I myself was asked to leave the last company I worked for because I was going to a competitor.

I was quite swiftly called into a meeting to have everything explained regards pay/holidays and then my access badge taken off me and marched straight to the exit. 2 weeks paid vacation as far as I was concerned. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Yes, happened to me before. Had a great week off on full pay. Lovely.

Advertisement