Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€2000 budget! What car to buy?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I've recently passed my driver test first time and luckily have been given a 2k budget to buy my first car as my 21st b-day present :D I'm pretty clueless when it comes to cars so any help would be great!

I've been looking at getting a 1.4 golf, 206/207 peugot, opel astra, toyota corolla, VW polo.

What is a good first time car that will do me for 3-4 years?

Anything to avoid?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Price insurance first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MU_1878

I'll be going down on my fathers insurance. What ever way it works out he said it should work out at around €500. The car will be in his name for the first couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

So do you have a budget of 1500 for the car itself? Or does tax come out of that too?

€2000 for the car itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Could do a lot worse than a Focus for a first car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Media999 wrote: »
    Could do a lot worse than a Focus for a first car.

No doubt the focus is a good car...just not the one linked!;)

Purely basing it on the ad, if someone doesn't present the ad well, then I have no interest in looking at them.

No pictures. Little to no info given. Expensive considering the 2 previous points. I would discard that as an option immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Fiesta 1.25 zetec. Loads about op

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Would you get a decent focus for that price though?

Focus has been around a long while now, absolutely tonnes of them around. So long as you find a good 1.6/1.4 they are reliable and good motors. 2 grand is plenty.

1.25 fiesta is a good option as Ardennes mentioned.

For €2000? Most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

RoverJames wrote: »
    For €2000? Most definitely.

....indeed but please go for the 1.6, I've driven the 1.4 and I'd rather walk tbh! :p

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Would either have to be old or very high miles though (or both), no?

Depending on your definition of decent, old or very high miles, no.

Thanks for all the feedback to date! There were a few focus' on donedeal.ie but have been up for one month plus. I take it that this is a sign that people have viewed it and weren't impressed so it would probably be best to stay clear?

Better to link us to it and see what we think rather than just assume theyre all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

....indeed but please go for the 1.6, I've driven the 1.4 and I'd rather walk tbh! :p

Agreed. Never owned one but ive been in a few and oh dear they are one slow car. Yeah sure the OP doesn't exactly need a rocket of a yoke but that 1.4 seems to be lethargic behond belief. Lovely little chasis though to be fair.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3706553

This is the one that has caught my eye the most.

Good choice?

If i took a look and it was ok id buy it tomorrow. Low mileage is a big plus.

Id say its miles rather than km. Even 60k miles is very good. Probably due a timing belt change so watch out for that.

• Advertisement

Going to look at a Peugeot 206 later. My uncles mechanic is the seller. Any things to look out for/pointers?

Advertisement