Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 7 - The operating system is not presently configured to run this application

Options
  • 19-08-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

New PC with win 7
    Help or advice required:

I had a computer running vista which had all my office files, outlook emails - everything -

A couple of days ago the motherboard just died , a tech shop got the hard drive and stuck it in a box for me, I can access this through USB on my new computer 64 bit running windows 7.

I cant find the original office installation disk with the serial numbers etc.

'The operating system is not presently configured to run this application' pops up if I run any program from the hard drive in the box

Any ideas on how i can get office working again on my new computer ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

libreofficeo.org will handle office files for now
    it won't read the emails :(

if you were using outlook (not outlook express) the emails will be in a large .PST file - it might be possible to open them on someone elses outlook to extract the emails (not sure which other programs can freely open a > 2GB pst)

to recover serial numbers you can use magicjellybean keyfinder

BUT AFAIK it only works on the registry of a working system
    so you would have to try a repair install on a copy (copy - in case you fubar it) of the external HDD in a virtual machine

Technically speaking if you don't have the paperwork and you didn't register office then its going to be difficult to prove you have a license, also if it was OEM office then according to microsoft that copy died with the motherboard. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iveski

Thanks for the reply, in the meantime i got advice and actually managed to extract the product key using this one:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/keyfinder / - Enchanted Keyfinder Beta Portable- Win (9X, ME, NT/2K/XP, Vista, Win7), MS Office (97, XP, 2003, 2007, 2010), Recover key for 484 other software and counting

I have re-installed office 2007, my question now is how to bring all the old emails into my new Outlook ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

look for the file named *.pst on the old drive
    - you may need to right click and take ownership or somesuch

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iveski

got it - thanks for the help !

Advertisement