Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I find Insurance manuals or textbooks?

Options
  • 19-08-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi!

I'm thinking to get CIP qualification (Certified Insurand Practitioner) in Dublin but before I'd like to revise first the materials. I'm Spanish and I got there the equivalence of APA (Acredited Product Adviser).
    However I don't know how long will take me to get it and if I'll find it very difficult because of the English language.

I'd want to know how to find some materials to study, because my insurance knowledge is a bit rusty. I couldn't find any documents over the internet or in a bookstore! :confused:

Anyone knows a way to get some textbooks? Maybe someone who already gets those qualifications can help me!

Thank you in advanced.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

You won't find them online, the text books for those exams are only available from the insurance institute or IBA. So to get them you would have to apply for the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 micolinos

Ok, thank you for your quick response.

But, has anyone who got CIP qualification these PDF materials to share?

Thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

unlikely. They don't come in electronic format. And the books are a couple of hundred pages both sides so you are unlikely to find someone that has been bothered to scan it in!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

Having got the CIP qualification, I can confirm that you apply for the course and then you get sent the manual which changes year to year. If you apply early enough you will have loads of time to study the book which contains all of the information required. The course is generally very straight forward and practical so you should not generally have issues with it although it does supprise me that the failure rate in the last one (3b) is very high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'm currently five exams in and to be honest, the books are a joke.

I could give you one from 5 years ago and the difference between it and the version now would be minimal.

Only way you could get them is to either get a loan of a few from a recent applicant (if they are like me, they are burned ceremoniously) or to actually apply yourself to the IBA (expensive unless a company will pay for you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

They have changed the exams again and the new modules will be fully implemented in Januray 2013 exams. There is no point in gettin any of the books off anyone at the minute unless you have booked the Sept sittings already.

What exams have you completed and what ones are left for you to do?

Also for info apparently there are only 2 multiple choice modules going forward from Jan the rest being written.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 micolinos

Thank you for all your kind responses.

I don't have CIP qualification or any exam, I only want to review the contents to refresh my knowledge in order to get a job here, and then thinking if I want to get the certification. I am Spanish and I need to get used to Insurance concepts in English.

For that reason it would be helpful for me these books or general insurance textbooks. I though that Insurance Institute of Ireland provided online the contents for their students, or at least I read this on their website.

Now I know it's pretty difficult!

Thank you again for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

It depends what type of Insurance job you are looking to get into.

If it is commercial insurance the CIP/APA books are not much use. In my opinion the CIP qualification biased towards broker/peronal insurance.

The Insurance Institute of Ireland provide materials online but you have to be a memeber of the Institute.

Advertisement