Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software distribution since the end of the CD drive

Options
  • 19-08-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me, since Apple stopped supporting the optical drive in their products, have Mac software developers changed their method of distribution to online? Or, when I upgrade to a new mac, will I find that I have to invest in a separate CD drive in order to load software?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can get everything as a digital download now. Either through the Mac App Store or from the developer's website.

And Apple haven't dropped optical drives from all Macs. The MBP, iMac and Mac Pro still come with one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I don't think I have actually used a CD/DVD drive to install any software for at least twelve months now - and that is including both my desktop and laptop. I find that anything I need to install has a digital download alternative. Even if I want to buy a game I would just use Steam to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Some software such as X-Plane and Matlab, wont run unless you have the original CD in the drive.

Advertisement