Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continous Glucose Moitor

Options
  • 19-08-2012 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone use a Continous Glucose Moitor to monitor glucose levels? I was reading up about them and there are ones called the Dexcom Glucose Monitor and Medtronic? Are these even available in Ireland and would I need to get a prescription for one? Im on a waiting list for a pump for about 3 years now which is a ridiculously long time so can I get a glucose monitor privately? Reading up on them they would benefit me alot. Any info proved will be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I don't have one but from what I can gather the HSE won't pay for them (I'm open to correction here!) as they're about €50 per monitor and they only last about a week, also (as I'm sure you've learned) they don't replace testing with the old fashioned lancet and test strip, that still needs to be done 4 times a day (or whatever you normally do) and the CGM is synchronised with that and just tracks the ups and downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Hi Scarymoon1 & Eurovisionmad,

The Dexcom is not available in Ireland.

The only continuous glucose monitors (CGM) that are available here come as part of an insulin pump package. The Medtronic pump has one that transmits the data to the pump and you can read it from the pump screen, likewise with the Animas Vibe. As far as I know the Accu-chek combo doesn't come with this system.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_glucose_monitoring#Continuous_glucose_monitoring

A continuous glucose monitor (CGM) determines glucose levels on a continuous basis (every few minutes). A typical system consists of:
    • a disposable glucose sensor placed just under the skin, which is worn for a few days until replacement
    • a link from the sensor to a non-implanted transmitter which communicates to a radio receiver
    • an electronic receiver worn like a pager (or insulin pump) that displays glucose levels with nearly continuous updates, as well as monitors rising and falling trends.
    I really don't know if you can buy them online without assuring the suppliers that you have medical training from your clinic lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Full of Questions

Does anyone have any update on the continuous glucose monitoring system. The guardian seems to be a good one (from reading articles/discussions/research on the net) but I seem to be going around in circles trying to get my hands on one.... ;(

Advertisement