Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some experienced advise on buying a damaged Kayak

Options
  • 18-08-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey there, I am in the market for a 2 man open topped Kayak and came across a second hand BIC one for quite cheap that has a damaged underbelly at the front near the nose, clearly ran against some rocks or something. The crack isn't too long, probably about 10 Inches and is quite clean so I think it could be quite easily repaired with some plastic soldering for cheap.

My concerns are that the crack would be under the waterline and would the fact it was broken mean it would be weaker in the future? It wouldn't be used for anything very rough, mostly leisure in slow rivers and the sea.
    It also seems to be previously patched with some fiber glass.

If anyone could take a look at the attached picture and let me know if its probably worth it? or should I splash out the extra 200 euro for a new one that could last longer. The angle makes the crack look a bit wider and longer than it actually is, its actually not very wide at all maybe 1cm. Cheers!
    UiFK2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Seriously.
    No.
    Go splash out.

Too many good boats out there to bring thus trouble on yourself. It looks like a jigsaw. No wonder they're selling it.

2 X60 or 70 kg men in that? & gear? with that amount of damage?

Buy & Sell.
    done deal
    eBay

Signs in clubs.

Really; dont go there with that. .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Some neck even selling it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Can't be that cheap if a new one is an extra €200. Paddle well clear of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Paddle well clear of that.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I agree with the other posters; avoid it. I've done my fair share of patching up damaged kayaks and continuing to use them, but that looks a little too far gone for you to trust fully in the water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement