Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing italian for LC with no help?

Options
  • 18-08-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

i'm doing italian for my leaving cert as i lived there and moved here when i was 11. I'm pretty fluent at it but not as good as i was when i first moved here, because i speak english most of the time even at home.
    i would like to do it for my leaving cert but they dont do it at my school and i've looked around where i live for grinds but i haven't found any, so i was thinking of getting exam papers and studying myself.
    so what good books, revision books and tips do you have for me? I'm aiming to get an A1 in it will this be possible with no help from anyone?
    thanks in advance :)

Also is there an oral exam for italian?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

vale95 wrote: »
    i'm doing italian for my leaving cert as i lived there and moved here when i was 11. I'm pretty fluent at it but not as good as i was when i first moved here, because i speak english most of the time even at home.
    i would like to do it for my leaving cert but they dont do it at my school and i've looked around where i live for grinds but i haven't found any, so i was thinking of getting exam papers and studying myself.
    so what good books, revision books and tips do you have for me? I'm aiming to get an A1 in it will this be possible with no help from anyone?
    thanks in advance :)

Hey! I did Italian and got the A1 and I only started in first year, so you'll be fine. I'd recommend maybe a few grinds before the mocks and the LC but other than that you should be fine. I'm doing grinds but probs live no where near you so that wouldn't be helpful haha!

You won't need books as such. You answer the first journalistic passage and then the second literary passage. By answering the literary passage it means you don't have to study a novel which some schools choose to do. Then you answer the opinion piece related to the first journalistic passage, the guided composition and finally the letter.

That's why I would recommend a couple of grinds before doing the exam so you know exactly which sections to do and what not to do, as the layout can throw some people who do italian in school. Even people in my class have done the wrong section sometimes.

To get the A1, you need to obviously be very confident with the language. We were told to know these verb tenses: Presente, Passato Prossimo, Il futuro, I riflessivi. However I don't believe that's enough, I would know l'imperfetto, il condizionale and il congiuntivo. (Penso che siano importante. Mi capisici?). Also make sure you know the other aspects of grammar like pronouns, articulated prepositions etc.

So include all of those in your written pieces to show off that you are more aware than you should be and the examiner will find it hard to take marks off you. I would also include "ne", per esempio: Hai molto tempo libero? No, non ne ho molto. Even using this in the oral will show the examiner that you are good at the language.

You will need someone to help you with an oral before hand too. I got 100% in my mock one and I literally made sure the examiner let me talk about all topics, so you'll need to maybe do a few practice ones too. :)

The listening will be fairly easy to you. Just keep practicing them and have them on your ipod.

Senza dubbio, dovresti pensare di grinds prima di fare gli esami. Ma, hai detto che sei in grado di parlare perfettamente italiano, quindi non devi preoccupare. Se hai bisogno di ulteriori informazione, fammi sapere in un messaggio privato. :) L'italiano era la mia materia preferita a scuola e lo studieró a UCD in settembre! In bocca al lupo!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vale95

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    Hey! I did Italian and got the A1 and I only started in first year, so you'll be fine. I'd recommend maybe a few grinds before the mocks and the LC but other than that you should be fine. I'm doing grinds but probs live no where near you so that wouldn't be helpful haha!

You won't need books as such. You answer the first journalistic passage and then the second literary passage. By answering the literary passage it means you don't have to study a novel which some schools choose to do. Then you answer the opinion piece related to the first journalistic passage, the guided composition and finally the letter.

That's why I would recommend a couple of grinds before doing the exam so you know exactly which sections to do and what not to do, as the layout can throw some people who do italian in school. Even people in my class have done the wrong section sometimes.

To get the A1, you need to obviously be very confident with the language. We were told to know these verb tenses: Presente, Passato Prossimo, Il futuro, I riflessivi. However I don't believe that's enough, I would know l'imperfetto, il condizionale and il congiuntivo. (Penso che siano importante. Mi capisici?). Also make sure you know the other aspects of grammar like pronouns, articulated prepositions etc.

So include all of those in your written pieces to show off that you are more aware than you should be and the examiner will find it hard to take marks off you. I would also include "ne", per esempio: Hai molto tempo libero? No, non ne ho molto. Even using this in the oral will show the examiner that you are good at the language.

You will need someone to help you with an oral before hand too. I got 100% in my mock one and I literally made sure the examiner let me talk about all topics, so you'll need to maybe do a few practice ones too. :)

The listening will be fairly easy to you. Just keep practicing them and have them on your ipod.

Senza dubbio, dovresti pensare di grinds prima di fare gli esami. Ma, hai detto che sei in grado di parlare perfettamente italiano, quindi non devi preoccupare. Se hai bisogno di ulteriori informazione, fammi sapere in un messaggio privato. :) L'italiano era la mia materia preferita a scuola e lo studieró a UCD in settembre! In bocca al lupo!

grazie mille!! sei veramente brava con la lingua :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'll have to print out the papers as not enough people do Italian to make it commercially viable for the exam paper companies to publish them.

Just make sure your entry for Italian goes in early as the SEC need to organise an oral examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vale95

spurious wrote: »
    You'll have to print out the papers as not enough people do Italian to make it commercially viable for the exam paper companies to publish them.

Just make sure your entry for Italian goes in early as the SEC need to organise an oral examiner.
    when do you think will be the best time to do this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From memory I think it's October when they go in, but definitely before the end of January.
    Since your school isn't one of the ones does Italian, they won't be expecting it, so they will need notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

vale95 wrote: »
    grazie mille!! sei veramente brava con la lingua :)

grazie mille! veramente, non esitare a contattarmi se hai bisogno di aiuto!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mashuu

Can anyone pleaseee send me the oral notes on the role plays and picture sequence. Pleaseee it is urgent

Advertisement