Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seed Harvesting

• 18-08-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi everyone, just wondering about collecting seeds from the different flowers I've got in my garden, started gardening last year so still have a lot of learning to do. If I give a list of flowers I have would anyone be able to give me any tips etc on when & how to collect them please :D sorry for any misspellings, some of the names may be phonetically spelt.

Livingstone daisy
    Sweet Pea
    Pansy
    Fuchsia
    Platycodon
    Petunia
    Nigella, love in a mist
    Californian poppy

There are some others I'd like to get seeds from but I can't think of/ don't know their names.

Would also appreciate if someone could tell me how to harvest a tuber root flower, I'd like to get some from my bleeding heart & granny's bonnet if it's possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You don't need to harvest aquilegia (grannys bonnet) or california poppy, by next year you will pulling the dratted things up like weeds!

for pretty well all the others, wait until you see the seed heads turning brown then pick them and put them in a bowl until they dry out and burst open. If you pick them too green they will not ripen, they need to be nearly ripe when you pick them. If the weather is dry you can push a few flower heads into a paper bag (not plastic) and let them burst into the bag. this doesn't work if it is raining!

You also need to look at the original seed packets and see whether they are F1 hybrids, if they are they will not come true to type so you are wasting your time. If you bought the plants from a nursery the chances are they are hybrids, you can try them but you might be disappointed with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

Thanks looksee, my sweet peas are covered in pods as are the livingstone... and it's those two especially which I'd like to have again next year cos they're country cottage kinda flowers which I like... my grand mother said something about cutting the tuber ones back in September and breaking off a piece of the root then? it's herself that wants some of the tubers I've got, bit disappointed with them actually just got all foliage on the granny's bonnet and maybe 5 flowers on the bleeding heart :( my mums bleeding hearts were bursting with flowers ...

Advertisement