Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student riots

Options
  • 18-08-2012 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Anybody hear of big trouble in O'Connell St., last night? Leaving cert students ran amok at Supermacs & caused a lot of structural damage including a garda car, No links available so far

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

A mate of mine posted this on Facebook. He was there sure.

582837_4106077582919_609135001_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

A lot of singing and noise, 15 year old who isnt a Leaving Cert student broke a window on a garda car, not exactly rioting!!

The gist of it here on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKKMAhjTAZQ&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Here is certainly no evidence of rioting in that video and to date there have been no reports of riots in the media.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

More like young ones who can't handle a few scoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Sensationalism...do you write for the sun ?
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was talking to a few Leaving Cert students at the weekend (at a match before anyone thinks I'm a weirdo :)) and they were saying that Wednesday night was a disaster for them, every bouncer was being very strict with IDs (i.e. doing their job), the Queen's wasn't letting anyone in without proper ID, off-licenses weren't giving anything out either. There was hassle in the Abbey Street car park where some 15 year old threw something through the squad car, otherwise the only thing that happened was a massive song & dance outside Supermancs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

CptSternn wrote: »
    A mate of mine posted this on Facebook. He was there sure.

582837_4106077582919_609135001_n.jpg

There are two squad cars in that photo - wouldn't that be the entire squad car fleet for Ennis now?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

The youth of today ?? I dont Know??

In my day we knew how to riot!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

haybob wrote: »
    The youth of today ?? I dont Know??

In my day we knew how to riot!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not a riot, THIS is a riot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvJjCb9s5Ys&feature=g-upl

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Balagan wrote: »
    There are two squad cars in that photo - wouldn't that be the entire squad car fleet for Ennis now?

I would doubt it. Its a rare night you would go to ennis without seeing a few squad cars floating around the place. The garda seem to be very active around ennis imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

CptSternn wrote: »

That is foot tapping stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Clareman wrote: »
    I was talking to a few Leaving Cert students at the weekend (at a match before anyone thinks I'm a weirdo :)) and they were saying that Wednesday night was a disaster for them, every bouncer was being very strict with IDs (i.e. doing their job), the Queen's wasn't letting anyone in without proper ID, off-licenses weren't giving anything out either. There was hassle in the Abbey Street car park where some 15 year old threw something through the squad car, otherwise the only thing that happened was a massive song & dance outside Supermancs
    Im 32 now grew up in Ennis....can safely say, the same ding dong stuff happened when we were 15/16 after the results 15 odd years ago ! its nothing new.....only thing that changed was we did get served in the offies and were let in the queens back then :cool:

god be with the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mrswhiplash47

The Garda in Ennis are first class.I have seen it for myself when a neighbor who lived on his own died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

I would doubt it. Its a rare night you would go to ennis without seeing a few squad cars floating around the place. The garda seem to be very active around ennis imo.

How recently have you seen a few squad cars around Ennis, simultaneously?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Any time I go into town I always see at least two squad cars or a few gardai patrolling the streets. Seem to come across more gardai checkpoints in the recent months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I can't really speak about Ennis but the Gardaí are always pretty visible in Killaloe. They routinely drive in around estates in Killaloe and Ballina ensuring that there is no anti social behaviour and checking that properties are secure as there would be a high percentage of holiday properties in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Most nights Im in Ennis which might be 1 or 2 nights a week. Not very much I know but they do seem to have a fairly visible presence around the town. As another poster said its a nightmare for checkpoints too. Have gone through at least 5 or 6 there in the last year alone normally of a Friday night. Above anywhere I have ever been I would have said Ennis has a good garda presence to be honest, bordering on having too many based there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

A load of lads having a bit of craic - we did the same thing in town when we got our leaving cert reults nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niall100

Ahh just let them have a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Video looks like it was shot using a turnip!

• Advertisement
Advertisement