Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance with family

Options
  • 18-08-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I have an investment property that I am letting out. My Mum is entitled to rent allowance I was wondering would I be allowed to let to her under RA and potent ely the RAS scheme. I have contacted a number of government departments and have got conflicting answers. I have looked over both tenant and landlord documentation and there are no questions in relation to this.

So could my Mum just apply as a tenant?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

where does your mother live ? what happened family home ? wouldent be sure you can rent to family member

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

"Renting from a parent: You cannot get Rent Supplement to help you pay rent to your parent if you are living in the family home. If your parent owns a second property, you will generally not get Rent Supplement to rent this property from them unless it is a bona fide tenancy and you are assessed as having a housing need. Your parent must also be able to prove that they have a history of renting this property."

This is a child renting from a parent.....but maybe it could be used to apply to a parent renting from a child ?

But I would say that you have to have a history of the house being rented out before you would be permitted to have your mother as a bona fide tenant.
    Is this the case or would you mother be your first tenant?
    Also, does your mother meet the rules to be eligible for rent allowance in the first place too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

MariMel wrote: »
    "Renting from a parent: You cannot get Rent Supplement to help you pay rent to your parent if you are living in the family home. If your parent owns a second property, you will generally not get Rent Supplement to rent this property from them unless it is a bona fide tenancy and you are assessed as having a housing need. Your parent must also be able to prove that they have a history of renting this property."

This is a child renting from a parent.....but maybe it could be used to apply to a parent renting from a child ?

But I would say that you have to have a history of the house being rented out before you would be permitted to have your mother as a bona fide tenant.
    Is this the case or would you mother be your first tenant?
    Also, does your mother meet the rules to be eligible for rent allowance in the first place too?

The property has only been rented by someone else for 6 months so I am not sure if that would be enough. How would I prove this to them? The tenancy will be all above board.

Advertisement