Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice walk with a pram?

Options
  • 18-08-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

So it's a beautiful day out and we'd like to go for a nice walk. We normally would have gone to Clare Glens but now have a 2 month old baby so that's not suitable.

Anyone recommend anywhere that's nice for a walk that we can bring a pram?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Go down by the canal bank, start the gates on Clare st.. Lovely walk, perfect for a pram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Cratloe woods, there's a tarmac road all the way to the top and plenty of packed-earth fireroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The People's Park should be very nice on a day like today and offers plenty of shade as well so that the little one does not get hit by too much sun.

Shorter journey time to and from the park as wqell I would imagine, so again good for the wee one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Boardwalk along Clancy Strand, then along O'Callaghan Strand, then out along Condell Road, at Barrington's Pier, you can cross the road to Westfields or keep to the path and head towards Caherdavin.

Curraghchase has nice walks as has Cratloe Woods.

Not sure how suitable this is for prams but it's supposed to be a nice loop walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'd second Phog's suggestion. Start somewhere on Clancy or O'Callaghan Strand and follow the river towards St. Michael's Rowing Club, underneath Shannon Bridge, and follow the new pathway towards Barrington's Pier and beyond.

Alternatively, the Park Canal route to towards the University would be very nice today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

Thanks a million everyone. Ended up just staying local today(Castletroy Park) as apparently with the Premiership starting back today hubby couldn't bear to be too far from the tv, but great to get the suggestions for the next sunny day :o).

2 questions about the canal walk. Is it safe? Also, I know it starts at the Clare Street entrance but where does it end? I think it's near the University somewhere, where exactly?

shoppergal wrote: »
    2 questions about the canal walk. Is it safe? Also, I know it starts at the Clare Street entrance but where does it end? I think it's near the University somewhere, where exactly?

Yeah, it's perfectly safe. Sometimes you get some teenagers hanging out at the Clare Street end but they're never any bother. The other end of the canal is more popular with walkers, so you can leave out the Clare street end if you like and just start your walk at Richmond rugby club, and then follow the canal towards the university. It's a really nice walk. The canal joins the main Shannon River after a few hundred metres and it's a different kind of walk. Very scenic. The walk goes as far as the university and beyond. If you're based in Castletroy, it might be an option to start at the university and walk towards the city??

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

zulutango wrote: »
    Yeah, it's perfectly safe. Sometimes you get some teenagers hanging out at the Clare Street end but they're never any bother. The other end of the canal is more popular with walkers, so you can leave out the Clare street end if you like and just start your walk at Richmond rugby club, and then follow the canal towards the university. It's a really nice walk. The canal joins the main Shannon River after a few hundred metres and it's a different kind of walk. Very scenic. The walk goes as far as the university and beyond. If you're based in Castletroy, it might be an option to start at the university and walk towards the city??

Yeah, sounds like the best option. Where in the university is it?(you'd never think I'd lived here for 5 years!)

Yeah, sounds like the best option. Where in the university is it?(you'd never think I'd lived here for 5 years!)

You know how to find the river, surely? It's the path beside the river. Best to park in the concert hall car park I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

Drive in main gate, turn left at first roundabout, down past the fountains, turn right at next roundabout and park. Then walk back towards the roundabout, cross diagonally over to the path (towards the bridge), before coming to the bridge a path sweeps to your left down towards the river.

Walk to your left brings you to the city and walking to the right brings you to Annacotty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement