Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert problem...PLEASE HELP!!

Options
  • 18-08-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

okay. I did history for the leaving cert but in December I got taken out of the class as the teacher basically couldn't teach properly and i was being slightly harassed and bullied by her in class, which was making me even more stressed than normal especially as i was in 6th year as well. (and just to add I'm actually a good student and I try my hardest and always expected to do very well, I dont slack off!!)

now the problem is that The principal called me and asked me to do the project (which is worth 20%) in the school. The teacher said it was no problem but when the projects got sent off she never signed mine!!. she said she would be lying if she signed it because she's not my teacher. which is ok if she actually told us in the first place.
    (i know this is long but please stay with me)

so now at the moment im 5 points off my lowest course and im appealing the project!. but will it be added to my points fast enough for the CAO? because if its not I'm relying on second round offers and I'm freaking out a bit!.

will it be too late? and if it is will i have to wait till next year?

thanks...please reply :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kwearykoru

Did you not get any marks for the project because it hadnt been signed by a teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 megz94

yup i got no marks for it and i got a C2 in higher level, so it could bring me up a good amount if it gets appealed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Principal needs to sort this out. They had no right to expect a staff member to commit fraud by signing saying she had supervised the project when she didn't.

I don't know how you can sort it out, but it is the Principal's mess.

I know the principal very well and I know she should have done something but the teacher herself told me, my mam and the principal that she could sign off on it and all was well...i was delighted, then i got my results and they told me that it was deemed invalid. If she knew that she couldn't sign off on it OR found out afterwards, she had atleast 2 months during school to tell me!.

sorry about my rant I'm just really annoyed by it all

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

What!

This is crazy!

This is not your fault, your principal needs to get this sorted.

• Advertisement

telll me about it!... well we're after sending away the appeal and even my history grinds teacher is shocked about all this so he wrote a letter to try and help the appeal aswell...it's just not my year... i just hope its sorted soon or else i won't be going to college this year :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You should not be inconvenienced or put at a disadvantage because of the actions of your Principal. She needs to contact the SEC and if needs be, she can vouch it was your own work, if she knows it was.

I hope you get it sorted. It's a silly situation that should have been avoided.

thanks very much, I'm give it a few days to process and I'll have a look at the CAO monday and if nothing happens I'll be going back to her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

The teacher cannot sign the form for you as you were not under their supervision doing the project.

The teacher should have known this but if they did not they would not have been made aware of it until all the documentation arrived probably in May to be signed. This may have been their first time seeing the documents I know I did not get the documents for MTW and Construction Studies until May this year and it is written on those forms.

However EVERY principal in the country will know that a teacher cannot sign off on a project unless it has been done in front of the teacher.
    This is completely the principal's fault in your case.

There is a strong possibility that the principal was relying on the fact that they would get the teacher to sign off either way and may have put pressure on the teacher ot do it but they refused, (rightfully so). I have been put in this position before by a principal where I discovered something not right, however I also refused to sign.

This is your principal's fault and problem, not yours and certainly not your teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

to answer the bit in your op about the cao (think people have covered the project bit - agree with all that was said)
    now i stand to be corrected but as far as i know, re the cao -
    if, on appeal, your points increase, meaning you should have been offered choice #1 (which for arguements sake, lets say you missed out on by 5 points or whatever) then in round 1 you would be offered choice#2, but upon your points increasing post appeal, then in round 2 ( or even 3) you'll be offered your #1 choice - if places are by then full up, the college hold the place till next year. so if you miss out on a college place on a preferred course because you hadn't enough points but your points increase sufficiently after appealing then you'll be offered your course.
    now i am not a guidance teacher so could have that all wrong, but i recall that was the way it was when i did my leaving (too many years ago to state on a public forum :pac:)
    best of luck with it all !

• Advertisement
Advertisement