Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band for July 2013

Options
  • 17-08-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Covrrs Bands available in July next year?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

For What ?
    Are You Paying?
    How Long Is The Set ?
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭miniroar

check us out www.3mustgetbeers.com!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

ahh Sorry I Misunderstood I Thought You Wanted A Band!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

It's for a wedding next July in galway, many of the well known bands are charging rip off prices and have actually been quoted a similar price for an actual chart band that have been doing the rounds for donkeys years. Set list from waltzes to rock usual wedding songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's for a wedding next July in galway, many of the well known bands are charging rip off prices and have actually been quoted a similar price for an actual chart band that have been doing the rounds for donkeys years. Set list from waltzes to rock usual wedding songs.

For someone planning a wedding for 200 guests and going on a honeymoon cruise around Cuba & the Caribbean, it's baffling that you can single out bands & musicians as a "rip off". If it's not that important to you, just get a DJ and problem solved.

• Advertisement

Are you telling me a relatively new band of 6 months charging over 2250 is not a bit steep?! And I do not have to justify to you guest numbers or honeymoon destinations, if you have nothing good to add dont add to this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

I agree totally. It is a complete rip off when we consider the following.

a) Musicians do not need to eat
    b) Musicians do not need to use petrol, because
    c) Musicians magically appear on the stage just as the first note is played, and by the same stroke of magic returned to their luxurious homes as the final note is played
    d) The average cost of tools of the trade (ie. the instruments and equipment you see on stage) of a GOOD musician would be nowhere near €5000. More for keyboard played, a lot less for bass players.
    e) A GOOD pa system does not cost about eight grand
    f) Good PA systems transport themselves using the same magic as the musicians, nd even set themselves up
    g) Access to WOL boards for business does not cost between 500 and 3500 ex VAT per annum
    h) You magically heard of the band, as a GOOD band, like any GOOD business, does not need to spend money on advertising.
    i) Ergo, like any good business, maintenance costs are not an issue
    j) Also, like any good business, preparation is a useless waste of time.

I am travelling from Dublin to do a gig in Galway tonight. I will leave my house at 5pm, and get in about 4am. I will spend 60 on petrol, 15 on coffee and chocolate to keep me awake for the drive home. There is a further 10 on tolls.

In that 11 hour period I will also need to eat. To help keep costs down, I try make my own sandwiches, but in the summer it is not an option as they go rancid in the heat of the car. I spent a further two hours yesterday learning a few requests of the bride and groom

I am a keyboard player. My keyboards alone- no pedals, leads or amplification, cost 4500 new last November. The other sundries would cost 2000 to replace. So that is 6500.

I have to spend about 2000 a year in upgrading, upkeep and maintenance, as well as about 150 hours of time.

Do the maths.

There are about a dozen bands I would recommend you to, but I wouldn't waste their valuable times with a cheap skate like yourself.

Does you bride to be know how tight you are?

If you find my reply brusque or offensive, remember that this is a forum for 'Bands and Musicians'. You might get a more sympathetic reply, albeit tainted with similar incorrect assumptions, elsewhere.

I would also like to point out that that, as with many businesses, the meaning of 'professionalism' can be quite arbitrary in this industry. To that degree, there is some validation of your point. However, do not paint us all with the one brush.

The punter sets the price at the end of the day, and doesn't need to be given abuse for wanting to save a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 patjackman

Good man, Keyboardcook, nicely put...

One of the reasons I actually gave up playing weddings for precisely that argument. Two piece playing for two hours plus two hours DJ plus providing and setting up PA and lights, travel, prep., setup before the guests arrive, be there until 2 a.m., and get home at an ungodly hour and I'd still end up trying to justify a diminutive e1250 fee? Good luck...

• Advertisement

How wrong you are.

In every business, the market dictates. Not the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 patjackman

cordragza wrote: »
    The punter sets the price at the end of the day, and doesn't need to be given abuse for wanting to save a few bob.

No issue with anyone wanting to save a few bob, I think the musicians here are a little more rattled by the words "rip off"...

patjackman wrote: »
    Good man, keyboardcook, nicely put...

One of the reasons I actually gave up playing weddings for precisely that argument. Two piece playing for two hours plus two hours DJ plus providing and setting up PA and lights, travel, prep., setup before the guests arrive, be there until 2 a.m., and get home at an ungodly hour and I'd still end up trying to justify a diminutive e1250 fee? Good luck...

Anyway. I stand by everything i have said. I have no issues putting that face to face to anyone.

My TAX and VAT are all paid up.

I don't think its fair to niggle at the members honeymoon costs etc either though, not really necessary.

When i said the punter sets the price basically means you put in your offer and if their budget doesn't suit your band, they dont get back to you.

I think people are too defensive on here at times, but it's all part of the fun!!

patjackman wrote: »
    No issue with anyone wanting to save a few bob, I think the musicians here are a little more rattled by the words "rip off"...

Diplomatically put.

Look. I do this for a living. I am self employed, and it is against the law to run as a sole trader at a loss. Simple.

Shop around by all means. Hell, I go to Aldi for the Angus beef, because the quality is excellent for the price. It doesn't mean I stand in the aisles of Tesco calling them a bunch of money mercenaries.

It's called value for money.

Now, if the OP is not getting value for money, he has every right to complain.

However, I will not abide another musician bashing. It is my profession, and I am proud to do it.

He should also bear in mind that the market dictates. If he want to get married in peak season, be prepared for peak prices. As I stated before, the market dictates.

One thing I will say in his favour, is that there is no regulation in the business, so it is very understandable that quotes will be met with skepticism.

But please, do not come on this board with guns blazing. That is simply putting ones hand out to be slapped.

Exactly well said its up to the individual, I've been quoted From 800 - 3500. Ok you say all of this money is to cover costs etc but how many musicians pay tax on this. Listen if you have nothing to add to the thread or just want to spout abuse go do it elsewhere.

"Hell, I go to Aldi for the Angus beef, because the quality is excellent for the price. It doesn't mean I stand in the aisles of Tesco calling them a bunch of money mercenaries."

I do like this point in fairness

Exactly well said its up to the individual, I've been quoted From 800 - 3500. Ok you say all of this money is to cover costs etc but how many musicians pay tax on this. Listen if you have nothing to add to the thread or just want to spout abuse go do it elsewhere.

You have proved my point exactly in what you say here. As the OP you came onto a board dedicated to Musicians and Bands, and have painted us all with one brush.

You ARE being ripped off if you are not getting value for money. But do not come on this board and call ALL of us rip of merchants. There are those of us who CARE about our trade being pulled asunder by the meanderings of someone with a gripe against bad workmanship or perceived lack of value.

And no. I will not go elsewhere. If you wish to make an issue of yours public, and in doing so tarnish the good name of good people, then I will do my best to defend both them, their interests, as well as myself and my own interests.

I will not simply let you walk all over honest peoples reputations because you want to grab a bargain, and seem to be quite happy to go about it kicking and screaming.

Your best bet is to open a new thread. State (as per rules of this forum), when, where, what and how much you are willing to pay.

Listen mate for a band who's been doin the rounds for less than six months to quote 2350 and a band who's been doin it for years to quote 1350 that's some difference. I appreciate and respect your comments and am not tarnishing everyone. Many young bands think great make a quick payday by ripping people off. In 2008 charging those prices is fair enough but today it's a bit steep. Fair play to you if you can afford to spend that much on equip. Hope you have a bit more professionalism in dealing with clients than what you show here

• Advertisement

You have proved my point exactly in what you say here. As the OP you came onto a board dedicated to Musicians and Bands, and have painted us all with one brush.

You ARE being ripped off if you are not getting value for money. But do not come on this board and call ALL of us rip of merchants. There are those of us who CARE about our trade being pulled asunder by the meanderings of someone with a gripe against bad workmanship or perceived lack of value.

And no. I will not go elsewhere. If you wish to make an issue of yours public, and in doing so tarnish the good name of good people, then I will do my best to defend both them, their interests, as well as myself and my own interests.

I will not simply let you walk all over honest peoples reputations because you want to grab a bargain, and seem to be quite happy to go about it kicking and screaming.

Also I have not tarnished or name anyone on here. You telling me there ain't people out there who charge ridiculous prices. You make choices to get value for money and so will I, so if your just here to post abuse fire ahead I wish you all the best and hope you and your band do very well.

Listen mate for a band who's been doin the rounds for less than six months to quote 2350 and a band who's been doin it for years to quote 1350 that's some difference.

Then don't get the band for 2350. They will get the message.

Many young bands think great make a quick payday by ripping people off.

Agreed. No regulation. But name and shame them. Don't call us all rip offs.

Fair play to you if you can afford to spend that much on equip.

Thank you, but it is the cost of doing this job properly.

Hope you have a bit more professionalism in dealing with clients than what you show here

You are not a client, and I was extremely professional at softening you cough.

A bit of advice.

Get married on Monday to Thursday, except bank holidays.

You will get a much better price.

Also, haggle on the price of band plus DJ.

The smaller the band, the cheaper they can go out for. Less mouths to feed. Plus bigger does not mean better.

As with the Travel business, booking at last minute might also get you a better bargain. But the risk is always there that you will not get a room at the inn. The feeling will be that if a band is not booked on x-date a week or so in advance, they will take whatever is going.

Get musicians that are local to the area of the reception. Petrol is our largest single expense, and getting worse. If it continues to grow, I would foresee fuel surcharges on gigs at a distance.

Hope this is useful.

How have you softened my cough?
    I'll say this one more time I did not tarnish anyone or name anyone and said one quote was a rip off so dont accuse me of tarnishing everyone with the same brush. I'm sure you've never said all politicians were corrupt or all bankers because some have peeved you in some way. Right you need the equipment, say you are in a 4 piece band charge 2000 per gig get many 20-30 over a year that's 500x20/30 that's over 10000 a year equipment paid off so rest after less upkeep petrol etc is profit.

So 10k minus my equipment and upkeep at 3.5k per annum leaves 6.5k.

Average cost of travel and sundries per gig is roughly 60. At twenty gigs we have a bill of 1200.

Leaves 4.3k.

Average hours spent per gig is about ten. So 200 hours into 4.3k is about 21 an hour. After tax we have about 16.

The cost of a carpenter with five years experience, two minutes with a GP, and just over twice the national minimum wage for someone who has spent over twenty years honing a craft.

Thank you for pointing all this out.

Plus 500 per gig is a hell of a lot more than i get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Keyboardcook...

you hit so many nails on the head there you could have put a new roof on me house :D

I do a few gigs myself, not in a band or half as professional as you sound but I hate it when people say " you get 150 - 200 for 2 hours"??

Lately I find I end up playing longer and for less money and people are undercutting each other all over the shop.

Anyway, getting married in a few weeks myself. Saw a band, loved them and booked them on the spot.
    The gear they have is top of the range, all excellent players and I wouldnt say the guitar player got much change out of 2k for his guitar!

No quibbles on spending a few quid in exchange for excellent professional service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Are you telling me a relatively new band of 6 months charging over 2250 is not a bit steep?!

I dont know. How long is a piece of string?
    Are all the musicians playing in their first band, or is it a new band with experienced musicians? How long the band have been togeather doesnt always reflect on their quality. Go as see them before making up your mind

I have to agree 100% with what keyboardcook is saying, and instead of trying to argue with him, you should take note of his points, he has actualy given you good advice. People dont realise how much it costs to run a band.
    Dont base your decision just on price, you wouldnt go into a car dealer and ask for the cheapest car. Get a few quotes, go and see them in action and then make your decision.

doughef wrote: »
    Lately I find I end up playing longer and for less money and people are undercutting each other all over the shop.

I feel your pain, im in the exact same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Surely a quality band is one of the most important things to put good money into?

What are most of your guests going to enjoy the most out of everything that'll happen on the day? Dancing like made yokes to a deadly band. If the band is great then the whole night will be a success, if the band isn't up to it you'll have a load of bored people wishing the night would end.

And with a great band you'll have more fun yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I think this sums it up nicely....

E85AA7E3B54B482280DEB14EB1AB81F0-0000358530-0002982811-00800L-52334C1A37D245C3A3841F6C066730CC.jpg

Advertisement