Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Maths Test.

Options
  • 17-08-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I will be attending Maynooth in Sept to do Biotechnology. At the open day back in June, I thought I heard a Mature Student speaker briefly mention that we would have to sit a Maths test prior to starting the course. Could be wrong here, but inevitably, it has crept into my mind and won't go away. Does anyone know if this is the case? I am out of Education a loooong time, and Maths is the one subject that worries me a little. I was fine at Ordinary level all those years ago, but naturally i've forgotten practically everything. Was not asked to do the Maths Access course after interview stage, but now panicking that I will be handed a test the minute I land in Maynooth, would love to be able to ease myself back in:)

Any replies would be very much appreciated.
    Will also post this in Mature forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

You would be told officially if there was a Maths exam. You wouldn't have been accepted on the course if they didn't think you were ready for the Maths, they would have told you to do the access course. You only need to pass OL or HL Maths to get in to that course, so it doesn't look like you'll need to sit an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peacock169

Thanks for that. Was a bit panicked, going to look over the modules anyway, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mollymawk

I had the same thing last year, but I must say that I'm in a different college so my experience might be meaningless. It was just presented to us the first day, so I wasn't freaking out in advance, but it gave me an awful fright!
    It turned out that it was only set to give the tutors and idea of what levels of maths ability they were dealing with, and armed with that info they could make a plan for us all to reach the standard required to fulfill the outcomes on the syllabus.

Basically, they've accepted you onto the course, so they're now responsible for getting you up to standard. The test is only going to be a tool for them to use, so there's no need for you to stress about it at all.

Advertisement