Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl(in) to volunteer

Options
  • 17-08-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey, my name is dave and I'm really interested in volunteering for between 6 months to a year. Latin America would be my first choice as I have traveled there before and I have a little Spanish. I was looking online at Guatemala and in Equador, so you can see the fact that I am helping is more important than final destination. If you could give me some advice on what road to take, there are so many charities and so many destinations, any advice would help.
    I am interested in possibly teaching as well, so if you could recommend a online Tefl course as well, the cheaper the better, as I just aquired my BA and heard that teaching is a goofd way to go.
    Thanks Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

It really depends on what type of volunteer work you want to do for at least 6 months. If you're interested in volunteering as a teacher abroad, your best bet would be to search the internet for language schools in a specific country. I haven't heard a lot about volunteering in Latin America but there are some very good language schools in Europe (particularly in Italy).

Regarding TEFL courses, the online option wouldn't be the most ideal...CELTA courses are internationally recognised, detailed and quite thorough (although they require more time and effort).

Have a look through the Teaching & Lecturing forum and keep an eye on this recent thread for further advice on TEFL courses - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056727840

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cluefull

Well, the hope is to work for a charity orginisation, the more local the better, one in which I can just contact directly, turn up and teach, without a need to pay fees. I was hoping to get some advice directly from someoone who has thought in Latin America. Ya, I looked into teaching in Guatemalan schools, there as so many i will need to whittle it down.

From what I read online I wouldn't really consider the CELTA unless I was interested in teaching in Ireland, England, Oz etc. Plus I am financially a bit strapped so a cheap online TEFL course will be my best bet.

Have you taught in Italy? what is it like there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Look up La Esperanza, Granada in Nicaragua. Does exactly what you're looking to do. If you're Spanish is ok you can teach basic reading and writing to kids. The other ones learn English as well. And it's a nice place to live.

cluefull wrote: »
    Well, the hope is to work for a charity orginisation, the more local the better, one in which I can just contact directly, turn up and teach, without a need to pay fees. I was hoping to get some advice directly from someoone who has thought in Latin America. Ya, I looked into teaching in Guatemalan schools, there as so many i will need to whittle it down.

From what I read online I wouldn't really consider the CELTA unless I was interested in teaching in Ireland, England, Oz etc. Plus I am financially a bit strapped so a cheap online TEFL course will be my best bet.

Have you taught in Italy? what is it like there?

Spent some time teaching in English language schools near Florence and Milan. It's an incredibly beautiful country with great resources and facilities. The students are also very willing to learn. Some friends of mine also taught in Sicily and have high praise for it.

If you're interested in teaching in Italy, this website provides a nice directory of schools - http://www.eslbase.com/schools/italy

This short interview with a teacher in Italy might also give you a good insight - http://www.teachitaly.com/

dory wrote: »
    Look up La Esperanza, Granada in Nicaragua. Does exactly what you're looking to do. If you're Spanish is ok you can teach basic reading and writing to kids. The other ones learn English as well. And it's a nice place to live.

Cheers,
    You're right, it's right up my alley. i'm pesuming you spent some time there Dory?

• Advertisement

Spent some time teaching in English language schools near Florence and Milan. It's an incredibly beautiful country with great resources and facilities. The students are also very willing to learn. Some friends of mine also taught in Sicily and have high praise for it.

If you're interested in teaching in Italy, this website provides a nice directory of schools - http://www.eslbase.com/schools/italy

This short interview with a teacher in Italy might also give you a good insight - http://www.teachitaly.com/

Thanks again for the advice IW.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Cheers,
    You're right, it's right up my alley. i'm pesuming you spent some time there Dory?

Yea, spent 3 months there in 2007. There are three posts about my time there here on my blog. It was back in 2007 but I know people who went recently and said it's still a good place to work.

Thanks again for the advice IW.

No bother at all! And like I said in a previous post, keep an eye on the Teaching & Lecturing forum for advice and opportunities regarding TEFL courses! :)

dory wrote: »
    Yea, spent 3 months there in 2007. There are three posts about my time there here on my blog. It was back in 2007 but I know people who went recently and said it's still a good place to work.

Excuse the late reply, your blog crashed my pc for some reason when I tried to view your posts about the school, eventually got to read some stuff on a friends labtop there. Might I say you are a legend and fair play, reading about little Paulo certainly put a smile on my face.
    Thanks again for the advice, I won't be going for a few more months, would it be ok to ask you for more info on volunteering etc until I make my decision?

Advertisement