Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Home Premium

Options
  • 17-08-2012 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Where is the cheapest place to buy Windows Home Premium in ireland either online or in store ? thanks

Comments

Where is the cheapest place to buy Windows Home Premium in ireland either online or in store ? thanks

probably ebay or software for students.

http://www.software4students.ie/t/brand/windows-7

ebay

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Windows-7-Home-Premium-64Bits-and-32Bits-full-DVD-W-COA-Sticker-and-Product-Key-/110936458808?pt=US_Wholesale_Software&hash=item19d4540638#ht_2349wt_952

afaik it's not going to be cheap - windows os upgrades just aren't

make sure you get a licence key.

software for students €55 prob best price you'll get. it's pro version but has all HP features

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

glasso wrote: »
    afaik it's not going to be cheap - windows os upgrades just aren't
    just a reminder that to upgrade you need an existing license.

if you don't have a license you'd have to get the full retail version or buy a second hand transferable license.

and it's hard to justify spending about €150 on a licence for an old machine when for €200 more you can pickup an entry level laptop with the same OS and a years warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 James Begley

just a reminder that to upgrade you need an existing license.

if you don't have a license you'd have to get the full retail version or buy a second hand transferable license.

and it's hard to justify spending about €150 on a licence for an old machine when for €200 more you can pickup an entry level laptop with the same OS and a years warranty.

yeah i know all about windows upgarades requiring a previous windows install to work , but i have an old computer with a windows xp home edition key on the side of it , would i be able to download windows xp home edition somewhere and put it on my custom built pc (thats why i cant just buy a pc with windows already on it) and use the serial from the old pc on it , then use windows 7 upgrade on it ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah i know all about windows upgarades requiring a previous windows install to work , but i have an old computer with a windows xp home edition key on the side of it , would i be able to download windows xp home edition somewhere and put it on my custom built pc (thats why i cant just buy a pc with windows already on it) and use the serial from the old pc on it , then use windows 7 upgrade on it ?
    no.

the windows XP OEM license is non transferrable

it sucks but thems the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Acutally, you can contact microsoft and claim the motherboard died where you have the xp key..they can then transfer it so it works on your custom built. (They don't always allow this..but I've had a key switched many times like this.)

You can also just try installing xp and using that key....xp isn't being sold anymore so it may work..if it doesn't, call them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Acutally, you can contact microsoft and claim the motherboard died where you have the xp key..they can then transfer it so it works on your custom built. (They don't always allow this..but I've had a key switched many times like this.)

You can also just try installing xp and using that key....xp isn't being sold anymore so it may work..if it doesn't, call them.

That is also illegal and piracy (it probably won't work anyway as Microsoft would probably be suspicious of such an old mobo being replaced). A OEM version of HP will likely set you back €100 or so, its not too bad an investment

Nick

Read the charter - this forum is about software you have a license for.

There plenty of places on the internet to how to bypass the End User License Agreement you agreed to. This isn't one of them. :mad:

/MOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Download Windows 8 RC - will tide you over to October. Then you can buy a nice new copy of Win8 or hopefully pick up a bargain on Win7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Actually, Windows 8 will be the cheapest Windows OS ever to buy or upgrade... they must be desperately afraid that nobody's going to buy this crock of ****. :D

Advertisement