Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money owed through inheritance

Options
  • 17-08-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi just wondering if anyone has some knowledge /advice on if my friend should seek legal advice. Basically a family member passed away a few months ago...approx €700 was to be given to my friend through the inheritance.he spent most of the money(before he even got it!!) but this money was on loan from his mother (on the agreement he would pay her back when the inheritance came through to him). Now the inheritance has come through....and during the period of time in between he has fallen out with his mother/family.the mother has been given his cheque from the solicitor(to be given to my friend) but she can't reclaim the money 'owed' to her until her son signs it ,so she can put into her account.my friend wants his cheque (it's legally his inheritance) but there's little chance of her giving it back to him. Where does my friend stand?? Sorry if this is confusing.thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It's very simple your friend should go visit his mum an sign the cheque. Life's too short for this petty ****.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Not legal advice but someone who would borrow money and not pay it back to his own mother doesn't deserve friends and certainly doesn't deserve free legal advice. So I'd tell him to get a solicitor for legal advice (he will have to pay) and as a friend tell him to get stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PrincessDee

Thanks for replies.appreciate it.see there's always two sides to every story.its complicated....there is I suppose a lot of resentment as my friend had a real bad childhood , abused by his father and his 'mother' let it all happen.even as an adult she would still put his awful father before her children.but basically he just wants to know of he legally has a leg to stand on or not...she has said now if he dont sign cheque she will just rip up ???!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thanks for replies.appreciate it.see there's always two sides to every story.its complicated....there is I suppose a lot of resentment as my friend had a real bad childhood , abused by his father and his 'mother' let it all happen.even as an adult she would still put his awful father before her children.but basically he just wants to know of he legally has a leg to stand on or not...she has said now if he dont sign cheque she will just rip up ???!!!
    I'm sure he can claim that the cheque shouldn't have been handed out to his mother get the cheque cancelled and reissued by the solicitor then she can sue him for the money he owes her but to be honest that seems like a lot of effort.

Advertisement