Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine Beer or Latvian

Options
  • 16-08-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    does anybody know where i can get some Ukrainian beer in ireland?
    Lvivske or Obolon

And Latvian beer:
    Aldaris Zelta beer

Used to be able to get 500ml Zelta in most supermarkets. The East European beers are savage!!

thanks for help!

Rob
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I never found an interesting Eastern European beer, its all pale lager. Theres a huge selection in Supervalu next to The Square, Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Irish craft beer blows that pish outta the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I'd say one of the best beers I'd ever tried was Saimnieku when I was in Latvia. However it is one of the more expensive bottles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've been all over Europe and I can honestly say Latvia was the worst place for beer I've ever been. I went to a craft beer place and everything.

There's a Ukrainian/Moldovan shop on Dorset St that might stock beer (or know where/if it's available). I'd doubt it's exported to Ireland though as I really can't imagine there's much of a market for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I personally love Zelta from Aldaris. You used to be able to get it it here as an importer brought it in but it sold badly because of less Latvian folk being here compared to, lets say, Polish people.

If anybody knows where it is, I will also be happy to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've been all over Europe and I can honestly say Latvia was the worst place for beer I've ever been. I went to a craft beer place and everything.

There's a Ukrainian/Moldovan shop on Dorset St that might stock beer (or know where/if it's available). I'd doubt it's exported to Ireland though as I really can't imagine there's much of a market for it.

Thanks Irish_goat.

Will ask pay them a visit. The Ukraine beer lvivske is prob one of the best I ever had

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

CiaranC wrote: »
    I never found an interesting Eastern European beer
    Ah for the days when Baltika 6 and Okocim Palone were still available here. Whoever imports Żywiec ought to bring in their porter too: it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Actually I remember buying Zelta from this shop which is about 1 km from the Brewery in Aldaris near the town of Jelgava. It was about 35c for a 500ml with one of those pull tops on it.

They sold Cheetos as well for 10c a massive bag.

Best shop ever.

a16e3e6b.jpg

34c40f7d.jpg

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ah for the days when Baltika 6 and Okocim Palone were still available here. Whoever imports Żywiec ought to bring in their porter too: it's lovely.

Heineken distribute Zywiec. I think they own the brewery now as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I was in Riga a couple of days ago and was thoroughly unimpressed by Zelta - sweet and rather insipid.

I bought a sample of different beers in the supermarket as well and, while I admit that I have no idea what the labels said, I was disappointed to find that they were all rather similar, very plain lagers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement