Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shingles

Options
  • 16-08-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Anybody had shingles. I was diagnosed this morning. In a lot of pain which I hear can last for a long time. Rash only started to appear last night so Dr reckons the tablets should nip it in the bud and lessen the severity a bit. All in all a really nasty piece of work

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I had them earlier this year (end Feb/March), I'd bad pain in my hip for a week or so before any rash appeared.
    When the rash appeared it was only two small ones on my inner thigh (eventually went around my thigh, up part of my backside and a little on my lower back) I felt like crap and upon closer inspection a day or two later, I saw the 'rash' was blisters and doc confirmed shingles.

He put me on the Zovirax tabs and cream, and ponstan for the pain. I was out of work for 3+ weeks I'd say in total from the point of the rash. The tabs and cream did help stop it spreading further, I'd only 4 or 5 clusters that were particularly painful. To be honest it was horrible for the first 2 wks (After rash appeared), I couldn't really sleep, couldn't walk, my hip &thigh were that bad. Cream and tabs really helped. Once it cleared up, I was on/off ponstan for another few weeks because the nerve pain in my thigh and hip would still get quite bad.

I think I got away lightly, it took a good few weeks after to start recovering. I would be shattered every day, very little energy. I'm doing a lot better now, still have small scars and do get some twinges/tingles in the nerves when I'm tired but that's normal.

Everyone can be different though, some people get a very very mild dose, others don't. Some bounce back quickly, some don't.
    My dad had it a few years ago, he was about 50 at the time, he was out of work for 8 weeks and took the guts of a year to get his energy levels back up a bit.

If your rash has only just appeared I'd have good confidence that it shouldn't get much worse, just stay on top of the tabs & cream and rest up. Fingers crossed you'll only have a mild dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Had them 3 years ago, Not feeling great for a week then rash appeared on my stomach-chest, Doc told me to rest up and use calomine. Felt crap for a month but reckon I had mild dose. Seemingly it can affect you for a long long time depending on were you get the rash, I believe the virus can stay in your nerve ending for years.

Advertisement