Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swivel seat for disabled passenger.

Options
  • 16-08-2012 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

Some advice please. My wife needs a swivel seat and we have been told that our own car is too low for this to be effective. As a new car is out of the question, would anyone have any examples of makes and models of cars that are suitable for the installation of a swivel seat and also practical for carrying around three active teenagers. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

This guy knows more about fitting out cars for people with disabilities than anyone else in the country;

http://twitter.com/contrary_motion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Some advice please. My wife needs a swivel seat and we have been told that our own car is too low for this to be effective. As a new car is out of the question, would anyone have any examples of makes and models of cars that are suitable for the installation of a swivel seat and also practical for carrying around three active teenagers. Thanks.

www.motabilityireland.com

Contact these guys. Andrew is the man you need to speak to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Thanks lads, will give both a try:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

apologies for resurrecting an old thread but does anyone know offhand if you can fit a swivel chair yourself or do you have to present paperwork from someone like parfit or motability etc...
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

steveone wrote: »
    apologies for resurrecting an old thread but does anyone know offhand if you can fit a swivel chair yourself or do you have to present paperwork from someone like parfit or motability etc...
    thanks

I would think you would have to know what you're doing??? Getting it done professionally is the way to go.

You can get a Motorised Transport Grant towards the cost of your car or any adaptations that need to be made to it for a disabled person.

Contact the IWA or Motability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This guy knows more about fitting out cars for people with disabilities than anyone else in the country;

http://twitter.com/contrary_motion

A wild and unsubstantiated claim.

There are a number of approved professional fitters around the country, and to my knowledge there has never been a test to determine which of them might know more than another.

http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Certification/Automotive-Certification/Type-Approval/Adaption-of-New-Vehicles-for-Disabled-Drivers.aspx
    thanks

The situation has changed in recent times .... see the site linked above ...... so I don't know what the current status is.

Don't forget that to comply with rebate of revenue requirements a certain value of the vehicle must be spent when adapting it for a passenger.

If the swivel chair is designed especially for a particular model .... and that can mean a model from a particular factory or produced for a few months .... then a reasonably competent person could fit the seat.
    There are lots of complications that can arise ..... slight changes in the bodywork; the seat structure not being exact; electrical connections to the seat for various things like seat belt reminders; built in air bags and so on.

IMO, you would be best advised to deal with an approved fitter .... the NSAI should have a listing ..... who must complete training by the seat manufacturers to prove their competence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

thanks for that.. I intend to have a seat fitted to my multipla- I guess I'll have to go professional so..

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

How much to get a swivel seat fitted? If i have a car already with a swivel seat does it add to the value?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

octigen wrote: »
    How much to get a swivel seat fitted?

Not possible to answer, as any professional fitter will wish to use a new seat or at least one he is sure of.
    There are different seats, with different mechanisms, and the cars are different ..... so prices vary wildly.

In addition, if reclaiming under the disabled drivers and passenger scheme you are required to spend a percentage of the value of the vehicle.
    If i have a car already with a swivel seat does it add to the value?

Not for most people.

Often one would have the seat removed before selling on the vehicle ..... and a used seat is, to all practical purposes, valueless.

Advertisement