Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing the Ps2 laser?

Options
  • 16-08-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this was the best place to post this.

Busted out my old ps2 console and the games arent fully working now. Sometimes they load. Sometimes the screen will go black when i try to load up a save file. Think its a laser issue. The console is modded so i'm sure all those years of reading burned media didnt help it.

Heard you can use a cotton bud to clean the laser lens. Would this be the best thing to do? or perhaps replace the laser entirely? .. or just easier to buy a new ps2?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What type of PS2 is it? In a slim I think its pretty easy to clean the lens, the older models need to be disassembled.

Worth a try, but the lasers are notoriously rubbish in the PS2 so its likely dead. If its an older model you could buy the network adaptor & plug a hdd into the console & run the games from there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thanks for getting back man.
    Its a very early ps2 model. Around 2001 or something like that.

I googled the ps2 network adapter. Cant see any for sale (just getting old links :P ) know any site that sells one?

Thanks for getting back man.
    Its a very early ps2 model. Around 2001 or something like that.

I googled the ps2 network adapter. Cant see any for sale (just getting old links :P ) know any site that sells one?

You won't get one new, adverts/ebay etc is where you see them crop up. You will need an old IDE hdd & a pc with a native ide channel too to transfer content onto the drive if your laser is busted.

It's probably less hassle to just replace the laser unit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thanks EnterNow for all your advice :)

Any tips of where to buy a ps2 laser online? I really don't want the thing dying on me :)

Thanks EnterNow for all your advice :)

Any tips of where to buy a ps2 laser online? I really don't want the thing dying on me :)

That I've no idea, ebay would prob be your best bet. Just try avoid buying anything from Hong Kong as usual

• Advertisement
Advertisement