Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape to the Legion (FFL)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

RedWolfCQB wrote: »
    Came across this today. Its great and I thought I'd share it here. I'm not even sure which channel it aired on. Its a Bear Grylls show. Anyone interested in the French Foreign Legion and looking for a glimpse at basic training should have a look! (Apologies if this is old news or has already been posted)

Part 1:http://youtu.be/O1aJQ487mbw

Part 2:http://youtu.be/RvtC-gjbl3I

Part 3:http://youtu.be/vmVK86lAWgM

Part 4:http://youtu.be/A-ZOhUGVLnw
    Not having a go at you, but form what I know of the Legion, it's a very watered down version of it. Not a bad programme in fairness. Interesting how the gay guy could keep going when the former pro boxer and the macho carpenter couldn't !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Thanks for the post. I had watched that before.

I've spoken to some people in the Legion since. This is genuine TV muck. Nothing like recruit training in the Legion. There's a certain mystique about what the legion is like. Most ideas out there on youtube documentaries and in books are wrong. Going on what the guys I've spoken to have said, its the same as the Army, just with a lot more archaic things thrown in too.

If you want to know a bit more about the legion look up the blog 'banks to battlefields'. Its written by an Irish guy currently serving in the Legion. I believe he said something along the lines of, 'completing legion recruit training doesn't distinguish you as someone who has finished any form of fantastic training, wearing the Kepi Blanc just shows that you can put up with extreme amounts of bullsh*t'.

If you want to get an idea of what Legion recruit training is actually like, imagine recruit training in the PDF or the BA, just with more singing and old fashioned traditions + French weather. Otherwise its quite similar. It incorporates the esprit de corps of the legion into the general beastings and hardship that you'd get in recruit training in the PDF or the BA or pretty much any other European army.

I'm no soldier, but I've done my research and it seams to me that those who write these crazy books and produce these extreme documentaries about the legion are more concerned about getting views and sales and readers than getting the truth across. EVERYTHING you see in a documentary or read in a book about the legion, take it with a pinch of salt. This is what actual legionnaires have told me to do. I'd do the same if I was you if you're researching the Legion. Nothing too special about the FFL compared to other Armies. I think it has such a fierce reputation because it actually used to be as nuts as people think it still is. All the stuff that went on in that Bear Grylls documentary did once happen in the Legion but most of its a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RedWolfCQB

Oh yeah sorry I should have mentioned I'm no way under the illusion this is close to the real thing (I said glimpse not virtual tour!) and I take it for what it is. A program made for ratings and viewers. I just thought it was an interesting watch and wanted to share. Anyone know Rudy Reyes? (Fruity Rudy from Generation Kill) He said if you wanna know what basic training is like watch Full Metal Jacket! I'll take that with a pinch of salt also!

RedWolfCQB wrote: »
    Oh yeah sorry I should have mentioned I'm no way under the illusion this is close to the real thing (I said glimpse not virtual tour!) and I take it for what it is. A program made for ratings and viewers. I just thought it was an interesting watch and wanted to share. Anyone know Rudy Reyes? (Fruity Rudy from Generation Kill) He said if you wanna know what basic training is like watch Full Metal Jacket! I'll take that with a pinch of salt also!

Full metal jacket wouldn't be far off what it was actually like in the 60's. Yeah the bear grylls documentary is actually a very good watch all the same.

I can't believe that one lad left in the first 24hours! That didn't make sense I'd say that was all he was there for, some sort of scripting with that! Awful long way to travel for a haircut! At first I couldn't stand that American sergeant and don't know how anyone could stand listening to him but in the end he seemed to be the real deal so you have to respect that.

• Advertisement

Not having a go at you, but form what I know of the Legion, it's a very watered down version of it. Not a bad programme in fairness. Interesting how the gay guy could keep going when the former pro boxer and the macho carpenter couldn't !!!!!

Funny how the happy cheerful lads just seemed get on with it and did the best in the end! That fall that happened to the gay lad was so awkward mad to think what you can do to yourself so easily. That was a badly placed mound of dirt though in fairness! :D

He was definitely the real deal yeah. He was annoying though. Not as an NCO but when he was being interviewed. Things he said like 'They want to experience the legion, I'll give it to them with both barrels' and the way he said it just got to me. Very much playing up for the camera's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

OP unfortunately from those that know about the FFL, I've heard nothing but complaints about this show. Supposed to be a very watered down and public friendly view of the FFL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

I've spoken to some people in the Legion since. This is genuine TV muck. Nothing like recruit training in the Legion. There's a certain mystique about what the legion is like. Most ideas out there on youtube documentaries and in books are wrong. Going on what the guys I've spoken to have said, its the same as the Army, just with a lot more archaic things thrown in too.

If you want to know a bit more about the legion look up the blog 'banks to battlefields'. Its written by an Irish guy currently serving in the Legion. I believe he said something along the lines of, 'completing legion recruit training doesn't distinguish you as someone who has finished any form of fantastic training, wearing the Kepi Blanc just shows that you can put up with extreme amounts of bullsh*t'.

If you want to get an idea of what Legion recruit training is actually like, imagine recruit training in the PDF or the BA, just with more singing and old fashioned traditions + French weather. Otherwise its quite similar. It incorporates the esprit de corps of the legion into the general beastings and hardship that you'd get in recruit training in the PDF or the BA or pretty much any other European army.

I'm no soldier, but I've done my research and it seams to me that those who write these crazy books and produce these extreme documentaries about the legion are more concerned about getting views and sales and readers than getting the truth across. EVERYTHING you see in a documentary or read in a book about the legion, take it with a pinch of salt. This is what actual legionnaires have told me to do. I'd do the same if I was you if you're researching the Legion. Nothing too special about the FFL compared to other Armies. I think it has such a fierce reputation because it actually used to be as nuts as people think it still is. All the stuff that went on in that Bear Grylls documentary did once happen in the Legion but most of its a thing of the past.
    Great post. Of all the soldiers from around the world I have talked to including one or two ex FFL, almost to a man when I asked something like " God, the US Marines must be a league or two above other armed forces ? " You'll just get a shrug of the shoulder and a comment like " Soldiering is soldiering whatever name they put on it ". Reading Padraig O'Keeffe's honest account in the Legion in Hidden Soldier, what the FFL did in trianing and on UN duty in Cambodia and Bosnia was nothing different to what the PDF does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Of course it's gona be watered down its feckin TV... I can see how they would've pushed a normal legion new fish unit further but they couldn't push these guys much more than they did.. they would've feckin died.

I just have massive respect for the tiny drill Sargent American dude... tough MF.. can't have been easy soldiering up at that size.. guys gotta be 5'5''.. respect to that. Bear Grylls is one touch bastard in pretty much all respects... wonder what his actual service history is... did he see action.. do any real ops etc? Was he real S.A.S.? Aren't they considered up there with the touchest special ops forces in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Of course it's gona be watered down its feckin TV... I can see how they would've pushed a normal legion new fish unit further but they couldn't push these guys much more than they did.. they would've feckin died.

I just have massive respect for the tiny drill Sargent American dude... tough MF.. can't have been easy soldiering up at that size.. guys gotta be 5'5''.. respect to that. Bear Grylls is one touch bastard in pretty much all respects... wonder what his actual service history is... did he see action.. do any real ops etc? Was he real S.A.S.? Aren't they considered up there with the touchest special ops forces in the world?

did 3 years with 21 SAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Holy Crap - No Bull**** SAS... nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

If you want to get an idea of what Legion recruit training is actually like, imagine recruit training in the PDF or the BA, just with more singing and old fashioned traditions + French weather. Otherwise its quite similar. incorporates the esprit de corps of the legion into the general beastinIt gs and hardship that you'd get in recruit training in the PDF or the BA or pretty much any other European army.

"Nothing too special about the FFL compared to other Armies"

"If you want to get an idea of what Legion recruit training is actually like, imagine recruit training in the PDF or the BA, just with more singing and old fashioned traditions + French weather. Otherwise its quite similar. "

..............Yeah sure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/24/french-legion-abuse

Later this year, a Paris military tribunal will hear the case of a Foreign Legion lieutenant under investigation for acts of "torture and barbarity", following the death of a young Slovakian in one of the legion's toughest desert training camps. Three other legionnaires were expelled from the army after the incident in which Jozef Svarusko, 25, died. Svarusko complained of a sore knee during a march in 38C (100F) heat in Djibouti last year, but instead of getting treatment he was beaten by a lance corporal. The platoon's lieutenant then took his water, poured it out and ordered no more should be given to him. Punches to the chin followed. Eventually, begging "water, water", Svarusko collapsed. According to the autopsy, he died of a heart attack caused by sunstroke, not from any blows he received.

"When my friend joined (back in the 80's) he said discipline was hard and punishments often brutal and arbitrary.

he told me that once he and his platoon were called into the kitchens and lined up in front of a large solid wood table the cooks used for preparing the food.

waiting for them were two senior NCO's.

the NCO's began to shout at the men, 2 loafs of bread had been stolen from the kitchen, and they believed the thief was a member of this platoon, they made everyone place both their hands, flat palms down on the table, they then walked up and down the line of men, asking each of them to confess,

no one confessed, the NCO's became more and more mad, walking back and forth slapping and hitting the men demanding the thief steps forward.

still no one owned up.

then one of the NCO's pulled out two large kitchen knifes and advised the men this was their last chance.

still no one moved.

again they began walking up and down in front of the men,

then one of the NCO's suddenly stopped and plunged both knifes though the hands of one of the men, impaling his hands to the table."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Reserve SAS....

They're still a serious bunch. Reserve SAS in the UK wouldn't have the same meaning as 'reserve' here.

Crusader777 there's nutters in every Army. As I said the legion used to be as mad as people think it still is. A piece in your post says 'when I joined back in the 80's'... I'm going on what Legionnaires have told me, and the incident of the guy being killed during training that you refer to isn't something of a regular occurrence. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying what Legionnaires have told me when I asked questions.

Guys have died in training in the PDF and the BA too, while being put under pressure during training. Some in worse circumstances than that legionnaire particularly in the BA in the past. That doesn't make the PDF or the BA some sort of crazy Army like what the Legion is portrayed as. The likes of what happened to that Legionnaire was once something that could nearly be called regular in the Legion. Not anymore. The French military have done a lot to try and universalize the Legion with the rest of the Armee D'Ter (probably spelled wrong).

The likes of yourself crusader and some other posters here may know a bit more on this issue but maybe some Legion units are very different to others as regards incidents like this. If it means anything the guys I've spoken to were engineers and cav. I never spoke to anyone from any other element of the Legion.

Great post.what the FFL did in trianing and on UN duty in Cambodia and Bosnia was nothing different to what the PDF does.

Truth... the Legion sing a lot more though haha

They're still a serious bunch. Reserve SAS in the UK wouldn't have the same meaning as 'reserve' here.

Crusader777 there's nutters in every Army. As I said the legion used to be as mad as people think it still is. A piece in your post says 'when I joined back in the 80's'... I'm going on what Legionnaires have told me, and the incident of the guy being killed during training that you refer to isn't something of a regular occurrence. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying what Legionnaires have told me when I asked questions.

Guys have died in training in the PDF and the BA too, while being put under pressure during training. Some in worse circumstances than that legionnaire particularly in the BA in the past. That doesn't make the PDF or the BA some sort of crazy Army like what the Legion is portrayed as. The likes of what happened to that Legionnaire was once something that could nearly be called regular in the Legion. Not anymore. The French military have done a lot to try and universalize the Legion with the rest of the Armee D'Ter (probably spelled wrong).

The likes of yourself crusader and some other posters here may know a bit more on this issue but maybe some Legion units are very different to others as regards incidents like this. If it means anything the guys I've spoken to were engineers and cav. I never spoke to anyone from any other element of the Legion.

The French Foreign Legion is a totally different ball game then the Irish or British army, bullying and brutality are epidemic. Theft is a the norm, and it has high desertion rates.

If you desert you can expect broken bones, up until recently deserters were dragged behind jeeps.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsf/20100610.aspx

"the Legion has some of the worst desertion rates in the world"

"unlike the U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Army, or British Army, corporal punishment is still very much alive and in practice in the Legion, and often comes in the form of sometimes savage beatings administered by NCOs as a means of instilling "discipline"."

"The Legion's notorious military police section possesses an even more sinister reputation for brutality and mistreatment."

Also the money is poor and you cant marry for 5 years, which is why they have brothels at the barracks.

I think someone included to join the Legion would be better off join the Royal Marines or Paras.

I think I'll go by what Legionnaires have told me. Not internet articles.

Re: the dissertion, as the Legionnaires themselves have said, its because the pay is crap and once you've done your first tour its just a waiting game to finish up and get the hell out because its so boring unless you get another tour.

Definitely must be a difference in Legion units because the units that the guys I've spoken to about seam to be the same as the Army, just with more esprit de corps attached and randomly pointless work details.

I think I'll go by what Legionnaires have told me. Not internet articles.

Re: the dissertion, as the Legionnaires themselves have said, its because the pay is crap and once you've done your first tour its just a waiting game to finish up and get the hell out because its so boring unless you get another tour.

Definitely must be a difference in Legion units because the units that the guys I've spoken to about seam to be the same as the Army, just with more esprit de corps attached and randomly pointless work details.

Im sure you have met loads of Legionnaries :rolleyes:

Im sure you have met loads of Legionnaries :rolleyes:

No... two. You'd be surprised the amount of Irish lads that are actually in it.

• Advertisement

No... two. You'd be surprised the amount of Irish lads that are actually in it.

Theres not that many Irish in the FFL, this is more nonsense.

Heres the nations most recruits came from in 2004

France: 185
    Romania: 138
    Poland: 65
    Hungary: 58 (
    Russia: 54
    Slovakia: 45
    China: 42
    Brasil: 35
    Byelorussia: 33
    Lithuania: 30

I thought you couldn't be french?!

You can these days.

Jesus Christ I don't care about recruitment statistics I'm just saying I know two Irish guys who are currently with the FFL! Don't think too much about it mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Jesus Christ I don't care about recruitment statistics I'm just saying I know two Irish guys who are currently with the FFL! Don't think too much about it mate!

Dont botter... Crusader thinks he is an expert on all aspects of the military, espically on elite units. He will try to pass his tripe off as fact with references to wikipedia and dodgey websites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

The French Foreign Legion is a totally different ball game then the Irish or British army, bullying and brutality are epidemic. Theft is a the norm, and it has high desertion rates.

If you desert you can expect broken bones, up until recently deserters were dragged behind jeeps.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsf/20100610.aspx

"the Legion has some of the worst desertion rates in the world"

"unlike the U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Army, or British Army, corporal punishment is still very much alive and in practice in the Legion, and often comes in the form of sometimes savage beatings administered by NCOs as a means of instilling "discipline"."

"The Legion's notorious military police section possesses an even more sinister reputation for brutality and mistreatment."

Also the money is poor and you cant marry for 5 years, which is why they have brothels at the barracks.
    Yes beatings etc are still quite common in the Legion, Padriag O'Keefe mentions how one day he passed a sargeant who was jogging and didn't know the jogger was a sargeant only to get him to turn around and go up to PO'K and punch him full on in the face for not saluting him.

Link/proof ?

Holy Crap - No Bull**** SAS... nice
    Watched a documentary about the SAS, they have the highest suicde rate in the British army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Really? any known reasons? apart from the fact what they have to do and see
    It didn't say, I'd imagine the kind of bullying thuggery that you have in the FFL. One woman a psychiatrist told of SAS men breaking down in tears in her clinic as they were often heading to psycholigal break down. Not James Bond daring do fun and games by any means.

Advertisement