Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compliants procedure for BTEA applications

Options
  • 16-08-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Folks,

My application for BTEA has been refused in error (incorrect criteria applied by deciding officer). I have requested a review but have been effectively ignored.

Where can I go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Make your request in writing as outlined below, with supporting evidence etc., and also quote the following extract from the BTEA Operational Guidelines. Register the letter if you are posting it and if you are delivering it by hand to the SW office, ask for the name of the person who accepts the letter from you and note the name, date and time.

3.2 Reviews and appeal of decision
    The Back to Education Allowance is a non-statutory scheme and, as such, decisions cannot be appealed to the Social Welfare Appeals Office. . A person who is not satisfied with a decision may request (in writing) a review by an officer of the relevant Social Welfare Local Office or Section, enclosing any new evidence in support of the review. A reviewing officer should ensure the original decision and any new evidence supplied is reviewed taking the BTEA guidelines into consideration in their entirety. Decisions post review should be communicated clearly to the client outlining in detail why the claim has been awarded/refused and noting that all new evidence has been taken into consideration in coming to a final decision.
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/bte_all.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks Balagan. I did that. The officer dealing with it said he'd follow it up internally. However, it's now been 5 weeks and he's ignoring my emails and calls.

Since BTEA is a non-statutory scheme, there's no appeals route, so I really don't know the next step to take in order to be heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Advertisement