Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not great at Maths but thinking of doing Physics and Appled Maths. Advice please

Options
  • 16-08-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Like I said in the title maths are defiantly not my strongest subject, for the Junior Cert i got a B in honors but that was only because I got grinds for most of 3rd year. I'll be going into 5th year soon and I've picked Physics and Applied Maths (A. Maths as an extra subject)I'll be doing honours maths aswell. I probably will be getting grinds for some of 5th year but would general maths grinds cover me for physics and A. Maths as well? I'm keeping up physics either way cause i'm looking at a few engineering cources for third level but I have the option of doing LCVP or just study instead of A. Maths. Any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Hi. I did Physics for my Leaving Cert and I would definitely recommend being good at Maths. Half the course is Maths based, and for me I found it really difficult. I did honours Maths for Junior Cert and got a C.. and then dropped down in 5th year so I did Ordinary Maths for most of the time I was studying Physics. I really struggled, but I think you'll be okay since you got a B. You just need to keep practicing the maths type questions.

And no, you will either need maths grinds or physics grinds, maths will not cover you in Physics. It's different maths involved in each subject, but those who are naturally gifted at Maths will find it easier.

I managed to pass Physics getting a D3 yesterday and I failed the mocks, but I worked hard to pass it. And I am definitely more linguistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Honors maths is not necessary for the Physics course, OL is a sufficient amount however HL would obviously help. Although, most of the maths in the physics course isn't difficult and you could do well in it with just OL. A.Maths on the other hand is another story. I did that for the first half of fifth year as an extra, but ended up having to give it up due to other commitments which were on at the same time as the class I was doing. You definitely need to be good at maths in order to do well in the A maths course. I got an A in the JC HL and I got an A1 in my end of year 5th year exam in may, and I still found Applied Maths difficult. Having said that, I don't want to scare you off it and if you want to do it, try it out..you can always give it up if it gets too much. Are you doing all honors subjects? I was doing 7 honors as it was so I didn't really need A Maths for points purpose. If you do, give it a go! :) hope I haven't confused you even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

The maths in physics is essentially all algebra, rearranging formulas etc. If you're ok with that, physics should be fine for you. :) The maths in applied maths is a lot more difficult than physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Physics is grand, you should get away with that without being magnificent at Maths, but Applied Maths on the other hand is the HL Maths course used in a different way so I wouldn't recommend that unless you really like maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 themagichobo

I was in the exact same situation as you. I got a B in Junior Cert Higher Level Maths and did Higher Level Maths, Physics and Applied Maths for the Leaving Cert. I struggled for the entire two years and in the mocks, I got a D3 in Maths, E in Physics and E in Applied Maths. In the actual exams, I somehow managed to get a C1 in maths despite not understanding most of the paper, but you might not be that lucky since the course was only introduced this year and they completely screwed up on Paper 2. I also studied my ass off for Physics a few days before the exam and managed to get a D1. Applied Maths didn't improve at all though and I still got an E. Personally, I thought the two years were complete torture but then again, I was a bit too laid back when it came to studying. If you're willing to put in the work, go for it, but studying all three won't make them any easier, even if they are sort of interlinked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

If you're willing to put in the work, go for it, but studying all three won't make them any easier, even if they are sort of interlinked.

I don't know, I think studying applied maths made maths and physics quite a bit easier. The algebra in applied maths is much crazier than that in maths, and I think it made paper 1 overall easier. If you do applied maths, mechanics in physics is pretty much a walk in the park in comparison.

I don't think maths and physics made applied maths much easier though, on the other hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    Hi. I did Physics for my Leaving Cert and I would definitely recommend being good at Maths. Half the course is Maths based, and for me I found it really difficult. I did honours Maths for Junior Cert and got a C.. and then dropped down in 5th year so I did Ordinary Maths for most of the time I was studying Physics. I really struggled, but I think you'll be okay since you got a B. You just need to keep practicing the maths type questions.

And no, you will either need maths grinds or physics grinds, maths will not cover you in Physics. It's different maths involved in each subject, but those who are naturally gifted at Maths will find it easier.

I managed to pass Physics getting a D3 yesterday and I failed the mocks, but I worked hard to pass it. And I am definitely more linguistic.

I am a teacher of Physics and Maths and I'd agree with you that a B can be very different to a C especially the ones that just scrap a C.

That said the Maths for Physics is not so bad although there is a lot of it. Doing Honours Maths, Applied math and Physics is a great combination of subjects to get ready for Engineering or Physics.

I got a C in the Inter Cert (like a B in J.C.) as it was and then got a C in maths in the leaving. I was ok at it but the 5th year course was really hard. You need to put in a lot of time and Trigonometry is really hard.

Despite reports I think project maths is easier and the 25 bonus points mean chasing a C is worthwhile. Just keep yourself in there by getting around 30% minimum in tests and in 6th year when you revise you might have developed a lot.

I'd advise you to go ahead but be ready for serious workload problems and having to juggle your time.

Go over ordinary level papers in Physics in 5th year and then hit the honours later in sixth year.

The applied course hits some aspects of maths and mechanics most engineering course have in first year. Its ages since I did mechanics in first year so I forget it but the maths is an extension of H. Math to some extent buts its not too hard. It looks tricky enough though. Not that the maths itself would be a problem but that there is a lot in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Shanefm wrote: »
    Like I said in the title maths are defiantly not my strongest subject, for the Junior Cert i got a B in honors but that was only because I got grinds for most of 3rd year. I'll be going into 5th year soon and I've picked Physics and Applied Maths (A. Maths as an extra subject)I'll be doing honours maths aswell. I probably will be getting grinds for some of 5th year but would general maths grinds cover me for physics and A. Maths as well? I'm keeping up physics either way cause i'm looking at a few engineering cources for third level but I have the option of doing LCVP or just study instead of A. Maths. Any advice much appreciated
    You will need some motivation to do all three if you aren't math/science minded Don't base your ability in physics on the JC course feckin useless course IMO. I got an A in maths and science no grinds and tbh don't know how I'll get on in Applied Maths and im quite nervous because im banking on it and my teacher warned of how some fly through yet others crash and burn, no real in the middle because it's an extra subject. Put in the work though and nothings impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mayo23

Shanefm wrote: »

I did my leaving cert in 2009 (the old course) and I'm now entering 4th year of a Physics degree. I've occasionally referred to my leaving cert maths book for college work.

For students thinking of doing Engineering, Maths or Physics related courses in college a good understanding of maths is pretty important. Some topics vital for these courses are

- Algebra
    - Calculus (Differential and Integral)
    - Vectors
    - Complex numbers
    - Trigonometry

Algebra is fundamental and calculus is involved in nearly every equation you use - you will have to derive some equations using calculus. After you've learned integration, try deriving the equations for motion in a straight line, like:

s = ut + 1/2at^2

s - Distance
    u - Initial speed
    a - Acceleration
    v - Final speed
    t - Time taken

You could be asked to derive this in college (not for the LC, don't worry!). For Physics, you just have to know how to use it. I had to memorise it but its now found in the log tables. An understanding of vectors is important for mechanics but unfortunately this was removed from the syllabus when project maths came in.

There's a lot of emphasis on statistics, geometry and probability in project maths, all of which I've practically never used since starting college. From what I've seen of project maths, I'm really not impressed

Advertisement