Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Applicant: Single parent with previous undergrad

Options
  • 16-08-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on a few queries I have about going back into college.

I'm a 26 year old with a 3 year old child. For at least the past two years I've been mulling over the prospect of going back to college in the health sciences field (nursing / midwifery hopefully). I have an undergrad degree in Arts and am currently working as a receptionist/telemarketer. i've been working in office work/admin etc since i left college. This year I've decided that I'm really going to get my head down and suss out if it's a viable option for me to go back..

Finance is my biggest problem and worry (apart from getting accepted in the first place obvious :)). I'm wondering does anyone know if the grant is available to someone who has already availed of it with their first degree? Is there finance available for single parents to help with childcare costs? I have savings but it will not cover me for the full 4 years.

Also, is there any other single parents who have gone back to full time education like this? How did you find it, any tips to help?

Thanks for any replies....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Hairycakes,

Unfortunately the grant and free fees are only available for your first undergraduate qualification. If you already hold a level 8 degree you generally cant get any grant support or free fees for another level 8.

The two main forms of educational funding are the grant from the Dept of Ed and the Back to Education allowance from Social Welfare. But again as you already have a degree its unlikely that you would be eligible for BTEA.
    If you want to fully check your eligibility for grant or free fees you could contact the Dept of Education student Support unit: Tel: 057 9325317.

As regards Childcare support if you receive a social welfare payment you could be eligible for a childcare subvention scheme which offers subsidised childcare places. Your local Childcare committee would have info on this.

Advertisement