Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password.

Options
  • 16-08-2012 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

My computer password has expired so I can't access any resources from home. I tried changing it at webmail.mic.ul.ie, but it keeps telling me my current password is incorrect. I need to get it reset, so I emailed michelpdesk@mic.ul.ie over a week ago and have recieved no response. I also thought the computer labs were meant to be open out of term in the main building so I went in yesterday to try and change it from there but they were locked. :confused: Is there anything I can do? I have an I grade to clear in the repeats and really need access to the LAN and databases. Hope someone can help, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

They have also changed the log in. It was MICSTUDENT\first name.last name but now it's working off Your ID number. For example MICSTUDENT\ 12345678. Try this maybe? Had to get my own password changed too. Took about a week. Hope it works out. Good luck with the I grade.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

can you try ringing the helpdesk on 061-774777

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Hey, my email and LAN is all working fine, no problems there for once. But I was just wondering if we'll have to change our passwords every few weeks still or are we finally able to keep one for longer than a semester? Cos let's be honest, that's a serious pain in the bum! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hey, my email and LAN is all working fine, no problems there for once. But I was just wondering if we'll have to change our passwords every few weeks still or are we finally able to keep one for longer than a semester? Cos let's be honest, that's a serious pain in the bum! :D

Why would it change now?

dambarude wrote: »
    Why would it change now?

One can always hope!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I submitted innumerable written and oral complaints about this during my time in Mary Immaculate to anybody I thought would be able to change it. The problem is that the I.T. Department is just appalling all around. The entire point of computers is that they make things more efficient and accessible for the people using them, but between the password changes, lack of (information about) a communications system (although I found out at the end of third year that we had a student e-mail) and constant inconvenient software changes, how on earth is an efficient system ever going to come out of that archaic college?

If I were in charge of the IT department I'd give the entire thing an overhaul from the ground up. Moodle and the LAN would be gone and everything would be on Blackboard, a far more reliable system which lecturers and students can use. But they probably consider that too expensive. Yet somehow they didn't think the hideous Imogen Stuart "art" was too expensive even though it cost somewhere in the region of 30 grand a piece. Skewed priorities, but what can you expect from an institution that still closely links itself to an organisation which maintains that humans were made 7,000 years ago by God.

Whoa!
    Chloris wrote: »
    I submitted innumerable written and oral complaints about this during my time in Mary Immaculate to anybody I thought would be able to change it. The problem is that the I.T. Department is just appalling all around. The entire point of computers is that they make things more efficient and accessible for the people using them, but between the password changes, lack of (information about) a communications system (although I found out at the end of third year that we had a student e-mail) and constant inconvenient software changes, how on earth is an efficient system ever going to come out of that archaic college?
    I suppose I'm fortunate - I never had any issues with the email or IT system.

Moodle and the LAN would be gone and everything would be on Blackboard, a far more reliable system which lecturers and students can use. But they probably consider that too expensive.
    I actually prefer Moodle to Blackboard, but I agree with you on the LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

One can always hope!!!

Ahh, hope...I remember that word!! :D

Seriously though, things may change on the communication front, with the student e-mail apparently becoming the chief method of contacting and informing students from this year. I always felt that the e-mail account was a fairly minor resource in the past, with most people relying on word-of-mouth for knowledge of important issues.

If everyone can manage to familiarise themselves with this system and the IT department steps up to the plate (which is absolutely essential!), the college might be able to establish a better relationship between the authorities and the student body. An effective e-mail system could also ensure a more level playing field, with everyone receiving the same amount of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

But they probably consider that too expensive. Yet somehow they didn't think the hideous Imogen Stuart "art" was too expensive even though it cost somewhere in the region of 30 grand a piece. Skewed priorities, but what can you expect from an institution that still closely links itself to an organisation which maintains that humans were made 7,000 years ago by God.

Lol! :P

...Seriously though, things may change on the communication front, with the student e-mail apparently becoming the chief method of contacting and informing students from this year. I always felt that the e-mail account was a fairly minor resource in the past, with most people relying on word-of-mouth for knowledge of important issues...

Amen! There was a girl in my class in third year whose Grandad died two weeks before the Gaeilge Ghairimiúil orals were on. We got our times for the oral in the class that she missed for the funeral and her friend was supposed to pass on her oral time to her, but gave her the wrong time by accident. She turned up at the wrong time to see her lecturer going for lunch, only to be informed that her friend must have made a mistake. The last I heard from her, she has to sit a repeat which meant that she couldn't get her Teaching Council number or apply for any summer camps that want qualified Primary Teachers or put her number on job applications (which just looks really bad). All of that communication failure could have been so easily avoided if all information was just sent to her via e-mail!

I mean, when it comes to exams, a lecturer shouldn't depend on somebody getting the correct information from another student via word-of-mouth..!

• Advertisement

Amen! There was a girl in my class in third year whose Grandad died two weeks before the Gaeilge Ghairimiúil orals were on. We got our times for the oral in the class that she missed for the funeral and her friend was supposed to pass on her oral time to her, but gave her the wrong time by accident. She turned up at the wrong time to see her lecturer going for lunch, only to be informed that her friend must have made a mistake. The last I heard from her, she has to sit a repeat which meant that she couldn't get her Teaching Council number or apply for any summer camps that want qualified Primary Teachers or put her number on job applications (which just looks really bad). All of that communication failure could have been so easily avoided if all information was just sent to her via e-mail!

I mean, when it comes to exams, a lecturer shouldn't depend on somebody getting the correct information from another student via word-of-mouth..!
    That's terrible if it's true. The scheduling of Gaeilge Ghair orals was always shady. Nowhere near as official as the way it was done for Arts Irish.

The whole email situation is a joke. All other colleges use it as the main (and sometimes only) form of communication. Tutorial times, change of locations, exam prep guidelines etc are all sent out via email and when I was in a different college we never went a day without checking it at least twice. Yet a few of my Mary I friends never logged on to their college account after the 1st week.

I had to apply for 2 I grades at the end of April for the summer exams and after ringing and calling down to the chaplaincy I still couldn't get a hold of anyone. I emailed them and told them my story and if it hadn't been for Student Services helping me out I'd still be waiting on the I grade as they never ever replied to my email! Bad form. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Spom

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately my problem has yet to be solved... I did try the webmail link already, and I have been using my student number, not my actual name to log-in, but nothing. I recieved no answer from the I.T department. They must be closed altogether as it kept going to voicemail and I left a message on both Thursday and Friday, but as of yet nobody has returned my call. Luckily a friend of mine has allowed me to access the LAN via her account, I would be in trouble otherwise. I think it's a bit of a joke to be honest, the labs should be open outside term (as I'm fairly sure they were previous years!) and it says so much on the MIC website. Failing that someone should at least be present to answer an e-mail in the space of 2 weeks and/or phonecalls should be automatically redirected to someone who can help when staff aren't present. I do realise that some staff might be on leave, but even if all IT staff are actually on leave at the same time, there still should be someone there to oversee things in their absence in my opinion. And honestly I'd still like to sort out my own access as there's a few journal articles I'd like to look up! Maybe I should contact student services? :confused:

I agree with you Ciderswigger, I don't understand why communication is so difficult in Mary I. I was in U.L for a year prior to coming here (didn't like the course) and had no issues like this. Everyone used the student e-mail etc and that was the main form of communication between staff and students, I used to check my e-mail there everyday... honestly in my years in Mary I, I'd say I checked my student e-mail a handful of times! It seems a bit strange the great variance in this between the two, seeing how we use U.L's system to access results etc.

Spom wrote: »
    ...They must be closed altogether as it kept going to voicemail and I left a message on both Thursday and Friday, but as of yet nobody has returned my call. Luckily a friend of mine has allowed me to access the LAN via her account, I would be in trouble otherwise...

It's actually appalling that you've had to resort to that in the end...:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Spom wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately my problem has yet to be solved... I did try the webmail link already, and I have been using my student number, not my actual name to log-in, but nothing. I recieved no answer from the I.T department. They must be closed altogether as it kept going to voicemail and I left a message on both Thursday and Friday, but as of yet nobody has returned my call. Luckily a friend of mine has allowed me to access the LAN via her account, I would be in trouble otherwise. I think it's a bit of a joke to be honest, the labs should be open outside term (as I'm fairly sure they were previous years!) and it says so much on the MIC website. Failing that someone should at least be present to answer an e-mail in the space of 2 weeks and/or phonecalls should be automatically redirected to someone who can help when staff aren't present. I do realise that some staff might be on leave, but even if all IT staff are actually on leave at the same time, there still should be someone there to oversee things in their absence in my opinion. And honestly I'd still like to sort out my own access as there's a few journal articles I'd like to look up! Maybe I should contact student services? :confused:

I agree with you Ciderswigger, I don't understand why communication is so difficult in Mary I. I was in U.L for a year prior to coming here (didn't like the course) and had no issues like this. Everyone used the student e-mail etc and that was the main form of communication between staff and students, I used to check my e-mail there everyday... honestly in my years in Mary I, I'd say I checked my student e-mail a handful of times! It seems a bit strange the great variance in this between the two, seeing how we use U.L's system to access results etc.

Did a year in UL myself, went from Business to Arts (not a great move :P) and am still shocked at some of the ways Mary I operate.

All that confidential information like lecture notes on the LAN, must keep that away from students!!!

Try asking for a moderator of the MISU Facebook page to help you change your password. That's the best updated communications network the bloody college has.

All that confidential information like lecture notes on the LAN, must keep that away from students!!!
    Ha ha!

I understand its their intellectual property, but some lecturers go to extreme measures to protect their notes. For example, only announcing the password for Moodle on a certain date, and requiring registration within a short period before the password expires. Removing lecture notes after a few weeks to catch people out. Placing passwords on individual powerpoint files :eek:. Removing certain lecture slides from the powerpoint so that only those present will see them - if they want people to attend, give attendance marks rather than playing it sneaky!

I don't think it was as bad in the last few years as a while back. When I started in college it was very common for some lecturers to remove slides after a few weeks. The majority of the lecturers I had weren't as protective, but as with everything, a small few can give them all a bad name.

dambarude wrote: »
    I understand its their intellectual property, but some lecturers go to extreme measures to protect their notes. For example, only announcing the password for Moodle on a certain date, and requiring registration within a short period before the password expires. Removing lecture notes after a few weeks to catch people out. Placing passwords on individual powerpoint files :eek:. Removing certain lecture slides from the powerpoint so that only those present will see them - if they want people to attend, give attendance marks rather than playing it sneaky!

I reckon I know a couple of those suspects, dambarude! :D:D

Never really understood it...it always seemed to be the most important files and slides were either coded or removed! Attendance is important but that was verging on the ridiculous!! I basically took down nearly everything said in those lectures and I still struggled with those modules come exam time. It's impossible to take in all the details after your 4th lecture in a row! Don't want to think about what would of happened if I hadn't attended...

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi Spom

We've just sent you a private mail which we hope will help solve the problem your having.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Spom

Cheers for the mail MISU, hopefully I get it sorted that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement