Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Smithfield, Dublin rough?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I have just booked a night in Hotel Maldron Smithfield. I plan to walk back to the hotel from smithfield luas stop on my own, late at night. Is it not a great place to be after sundown? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You'll be fine. It's inner city Dublin, and as with all all inner city neighbourhoods, you should keep your wits about you at all times. Do that, and you won't have anything to worry about. The area where the hotel is gets a fair amount of foot traffic from the nearby apartments, restaurants, Generator hostel and Luas passengers, so odds are you won't be doing the walk from the Luas to the hotel by yourself. I wouldn't stray too far off the beaten track though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lots of small streets and dark areas around there

So the advice is the same for any city in the world, walk direct from the Luas to the hotel and don't go walkabout

The area will be busy anyway with people on nights out

You'll be grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I would say it's rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I lived in the apartments next to the Maldron for years. You will see some characters about but Smithfield Square is generally a safe area if you keep your head down and don't mouth off to the various lowlife around there.

I had one dckhead square up to me in 7 years, he stood directly in front of me as I was getting off the Luas, and didn't move as I said "If you move we can all get off, then you can get on" so I pushed hard past him, cue the usual "yous startin'" I told him to smile for the camera pointing at the CCTV and he seemed to get the message and he was dragged by his mates onto the Luas.

So one incident in seven years, it's a safe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

<mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's Crime Central for mobile phone grab-and-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

It's Crime Central for mobile phone grab-and-run.

Sorry, am I missing something? I don't recall any incidents like that. Do you have some insight as to why here more so than anywhere else in inner city Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The city centre red line Luas stops have a bad reputation for phone snatching, smart phones primarily that get sold on to dodgy phone shops long before the Guards arrive. The stops between Busaras/Connolly and Heuston are the worst probably because of all the unsuspecting passengers who have just gotten off a train or bus and are calling people to let them know they've arrived in Dublin. Easy pickings really. Add in all the junkies coming into town to get their methadone fixes in the near by clinics and the ahem... colourful characters attending the near by courthouses & it really is Crime Central for mobile grab and runs. I never use my phone when I am on the Luas, or any where near any of its platforms if I can possibly help it.

Advertisement