Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too astonishing not to share...

Options
  • 15-08-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Gordon Dalbey tells a highly unlikely story about his mother's decision to abort him and her eventual change of heart. .... However, Dalbey claims to have recovered a memory of being "delivered" from the abortion because as a fetus he cried out to God. He claims that the near-abortion experience had caused him psychological suffering throughout his life. Since recovering the memory, he has experienced survivor's guilt because he was saved when so many other fetuses have been aborted. In explaining how he overcame this guilt, he quotes a Jewish survivor of the Holocaust who says that the purpose of surviving is to testify to the experience.

From today's Guardian

I can only imagine how holocaust survivors must feel at his analogy.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Had I come across that I would have put it in the funnies thread, probably says a lot about my sense of humour but all I got out of it was a good chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

According to the article:
    "I say the story is highly unlikely because the type of abortion he says his mother was about to have was not available until 50 years later."
    Sounds like his memory isn't all that.

edit: Just finished the article. It's definately worth a read and not what you may be expecting based on what is posted in the OP here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

From today's Guardian

I can only imagine how holocaust survivors must feel at his analogy.:rolleyes:

A great piece by the author Lynn Beisner. Intriguing, open and brutally honest.

Gordon Dalbey.
    As I “saw” my mother lift the pills, I began to shake in terror. “Jesus, help!” I cried out suddenly, desperately. “Save me, Jesus!” As I lay trapped and trembling, in my mind’s eye I saw a figure come into the kitchen and stand by my mother. With a single gesture, he reached and swept the pills out of her hand and into the trash can.
    Amazed, I watched as he then turned to me. “You don’t owe your life to your mother,” he declared. “It was I who stayed her hand. You belong to me.”

What an advanced child. He must have super powers. Or is that just too crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"You belong to me"

The last deity I heard say that was Unicron!

(1:46)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Gordon Dalbey's "testimony" (and only after he has been told about his near-abortion by his older sister) starts off with;

"Lying on the floor, I curled up in a fetal position and imagined the kitchen scene 35 years earlier........."

Then somehow this imaginary scene becomes an actual memory of honest facts;
    "In fact, honest testimony trumps both politically correct tolerance and...."

This loon is a good example of a religious fundie receiving his "revelation." Just another St. Paul on the road to Damascus.

And for the record;
    Jesus wrote:
    I own your ass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

"In fiction, dubious testimony trumps both politically correct tolerance and...."

Sounds more like it.

Advertisement