Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bought a counterfeit guitar.

Options
  • 15-08-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

i bought a counterfeit fender stratocaster(us) from a pawn shop a while ago,it looked the part,had the fender usa decal and serial number,and everything else.it was only when i took the scratch plate off i started to question the whole thing.he sold it for 200 euro,and in my haste to get a bargain i whipped it up.he did not give me a receipt but i do have a copy of the add from gumtree which states the shop,the guitar and serial number.what are my chances of getting my money back.any other advise would be great as well.cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

is it an Irish store?

can you post some pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

yes,on talbot street.will take pics.its defo a knock off,does not have the stripe on back of neck,electronics are from a squire,tuners.the mad thing is that its actually not a bad player(if i did not have a few strats i would probably keep it)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

johnboy8 wrote: »
    i bought a counterfeit fender stratocaster(us) from a pawn shop a while ago,it looked the part,had the fender usa decal and serial number,and everything else.it was only when i took the scratch plate off i started to question the whole thing.he sold it for 200 euro,and in my haste to get a bargain i whipped it up.he did not give me a receipt but i do have a copy of the add from gumtree which states the shop,the guitar and serial number.what are my chances of getting my money back.any other advise would be great as well.cheers.

If you were sold something and it's not as it was described then there's no doubt you can take it to law but try discussing it with the pawn shop first.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Is that the dodgy polish pawn shop opposite the Celt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

a US strat for 200 Euro?

I'd have run a mile!!!!

but on the OTHER hand, a good player for that sort of money.............

I'm sure there's the equivelent of the UK's trading standards legislation in Eire, threaten him with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

Not to put a dampener but can't the shop just claim that they presumed it was the real deal, as you said you thought it was real until you took off the pick guard..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

zafo wrote: »
    Not to put a dampener but can't the shop just claim that they presumed it was the real deal, as you said you thought it was real until you took off the pick guard..

They can, but they were the ones who sold it, and as such took responsibility for it. If they weren't a shop, and were just a normal punter, there's nothing the OP could do, but as a business the OP should be able to get sorted, as he was not sold what was advertised.

thanks for replies.i hear you when you say 200 euro for us strat,but i thought that with the scrapes and bumps and the general condition it was in he was letting it go cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

If it looks to good to be true it usually is

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

They can, but they were the ones who sold it, and as such took responsibility for it. If they weren't a shop, and were just a normal punter, there's nothing the OP could do, but as a business the OP should be able to get sorted, as he was not sold what was advertised.

I guess so yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

It's important to point out that for 200 euro the pawn shop isn't making a lot of money on this instrument. If they were trying to sell it as a genuine US strat, they would probably try to get more for it.
    It sounds like you got 200 worth of guitar for 200 euro. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If they refuse to give you a refund, take them to small claims court, or at least threaten to. You were sold the instrument in the belief it was a legitimate Fender guitar and it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

does not have the stripe on back of neck

That doesn't mean anything. They don't all have it.

groovie wrote: »
    It's important to point out that for 200 euro the pawn shop isn't making a lot of money on this instrument. If they were trying to sell it as a genuine US strat, they would probably try to get more for it.
    It sounds like you got 200 worth of guitar for 200 euro. :(

thats not the point.he sold me something that in hindsight on my behalf he new was not genuine.thats why he sold it cheap.

Etc wrote: »
    If it looks to good to be true it usually is

thats all well and good,hope you never let your guard down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Unlucky - as regards it being a good player, my first guitar a 'Fender' Mustang cost approx £120 and was a great little guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

thats all well and good,hope you never let your guard down.

For 200 quid I wouldn't. Just chalk it down to experience.

Advertisement