Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of courses

Options
  • 15-08-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Ive been looking at courses and I see that the same course being offered by different course providers with different lengths, how can the course be offered full time for one year and part time two full days a week and also part time two evenings a week ? I dont get how the same amount of modules with the same Fetac award can be thought in different lengths of time. Am I missing something ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Sometimes courses are accelerated. In that you cover the same material but a much more rapid pace and the amount of study you are expected to do outside of class contact time is much greater for part-time programmes.
    Also some part-time courses, especially at third level, may also specify that you need to have a particular work experience background relevant to the course before starting. Or that you have access to relevant work experience throughout your course where you can put your learning into practice as you progress through the course material.

Occasionally you may also get providers who are trying to make a quick buck and so the quality of the programmes they offer may not be great. That's why checking into the courses you want to do and the providers reputation etc is always a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Sometimes courses are accelerated. In that you cover the same material but a much more rapid pace and the amount of study you are expected to do outside of class contact time is much greater for part-time programmes.
    Also some part-time courses, especially at third level, may also specify that you need to have a particular work experience background relevant to the course before starting. Or that you have access to relevant work experience throughout your course where you can put your learning into practice as you progress through the course material.

Occasionally you may also get providers who are trying to make a quick buck and so the quality of the programmes they offer may not be great. That's why checking into the courses you want to do and the providers reputation etc is always a good idea.

Thanks for the reply, I was concerned as some of the short courses are more expensive but dont have work experience as a module. Im thinking is better to take my time and do the longer course.

Advertisement