Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young person travelling and working - what health insurance

Options
  • 15-08-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

My daughter has been on our family VHI. She is now 19 and taking a gap year, so she does not qualify for student discount. She hopes to travel and work in UK, Europe and USA. She will probably be out of Ireland for 2-3 months at a time, home for a bit and gone again. We need her to have decent health insurance, esp for USA, as well as general travel insurance.

The VHI International option costs 1600 for a year, which seems expensive. Are there any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No. VHI International is the only option. I don't think the other crowds do a plan for outside of Ireland. And considering a standard plan is about €800, €1,600 seems quite reasonable. Other than that just take out backpacker insurance and rely on the medical cover in the event of an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jamas

Thanks peteb2. The medical cover on the backpacker insurance does not seem to be a lot less than the global .... or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

The main difference between global and back packers insurance is that global is health insurance while travelling, back packers is travel insurance which covers some medical cover. Global allows your daughter to have routine procedures anywhere in the world, travel insurance only covers emergency medical treatment (your definition of emergency and there's are quite different). Global will also mean no break in cover which means she wont have to serve waiting periods again. Hope that helps

Advertisement