Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choice

Options
  • 15-08-2012 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    I will be heading into TY this year, and i need subject choice help as i'm quite worried what i'm looking forward to do in the future.
    What Am I interested in?
    Im interested in physical activities such as sports(soccer and GAA)

Working and using computers (I know quite a lot about it's components eg, RAM,PROCESSORS,HDD etc)

My Mother has a job as a nurse but i think i'd like to give nursing a shot (because of high salary income) but doing the dirty stuff is not right for me (even though they are used to it).

School Subject Choices ( Options i choosed already but can change):
    3 Core:
    Irish (Might Drop Lower but still higher)
    English (Higher)
    Maths (Higher)

Another Extra Core Due To School:
    Lcvp (Commen)

And These:
    Geography ( I decided to do this instead of history because it looked hard in the LC but i was good in history for JC but it the history course in the Lc looks like writing essays)

Business ( I choose this for the crack as it seemed quite easy to pick points up for this in the LC but i'm quite terrified that it doesn't require a third level entry, i was quite good at business at the JC except the accounting parts)

Physics ( I think i was thick enough to pick this subject for the leaving cert as i thought it would be same as the junior cert course but many people dropped it so i'm not 100% sure i will do this subject for the LC as i might be quite interested in computer science
    . Im not a smart person in studys so i think i may give this up for biology.

So guys can you post below of what i should keep on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

Are you doing a foreign language? you didn't mention it above? a language would be good and would help you to get into college as some courses require a language.

As for your subjects, you mentioned you wanted to try nursing? Biology would be the subject you'd want to pick as i'm nearlly sure its an entry requirement, and the most relevent to nursing or sports e.g physiotheropy or courses like that. Chemistry might also be a subject to consider as it is good to have two science subjects (although not nessesary for most courses) going into a science degree in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

Yes Im doing french. Well i chosen physics but im going to do biology instead.
    Heres my preview:
    Irish
    English
    Maths
    LCVP
    French
    Biology
    Business
    Geography

Thats ok ? Is it

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Sucette!

it should be as far as I no anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It's worth mentioning the Geography can be very writing intensive too.

If you're more interested in History as a subject I'd say go for it, it will involve a lot of reading, learning AND writing, but if that's what you're interested in, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lollypop2012

i did geography myself for the l.c. i hated it in the junior cert and prefered history. but history for the l.c is alot of learning and a lot of essays and writing.. i truly love geography now its not much like it was in the j.c. and is very easy for points if that is what your looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Why are you doing 8 when you only have do 7???
    But that looks good otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Why are you doing 8 when you only have do 7???
    But that looks good otherwise.

Doing extra subjects leaves you more flexibility when it comes to doing ordinary level subjects. Doing OL Irish and Math could be risky, especially if you're trying to get into a course with high points.

I was doing nine subjects at one point (dropped music because I didn't have the time to learn how to read music at the time).

Advertisement