Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot to Sign On. Letter from Social Welfare. What to do?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I was meant to sign on last Tuesday. I had it in my head that it was today (Wednesday - eight days later than it should have been.) I got a letter today to inform me that I should have signed on last tuesday.

It was a genuine mistake. The letter asks me to explain why I didn't sign on.

I'm just wondering how should I deal with this, and what I should expect to happen next? Will my payments be cancelled for any amount of time?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

tell exactly the truth. if its the first time you should get away with a slap on the wrist and a telling off (just so the staff can feel big about themselves)

No need to make up a story etc if it was a geniune mistake on your part.
    Head down to the office ASAP and sort it out to avoid any issues such as payments being cancelled/delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

you need to go straight down to your social welfare office and explain that you forgot and hopefully they can still put your money through, because i do know people who forgot to sign on have got their money stopped the following week.

if this happens the social welfare office wont be able to put it through until the following week, so what you can do if you are very stuck is go up to your community welfare officer and they can give it to you .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I've never gotten a letter, maybe it's a new thing.

Anyway, any time I've missed it, just go down to the reception and explain. Unless you have a routine of missing signing on, all is fine.

As stated (for me at least) the money is there for the next payment. So the money won't be there till next week at earliest so plan ahead of go to the local CWO if you're that stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why don't you set reminders on your mobile? Every time you sign, the clerk gives you a slip of paper telling you the next date to sign. Although, that's changing now. Welfare are in the process of rolling out a reminder system via SMS.

It's also on the slips you get every time you draw your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It's also on the slips you get every time you draw your money.

Good point about the mobile.
    OP. make sure they have a mobile number of yours that you use daily.
    About that slip when you get the money. Mines been set to the date before for months now and I get a text on the day the slip says to sign on telling me it's the day after. So I wouldn't be too keen on them having the right date on the slip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Thanks, everyone.

I went to my local office and explained the situation, and they took the letter that the Inspector sent me to send off for me.

They were fine about it in my local office, no issue was made of it.

He said my payment probably won't even be affected.

I won't be so careless in future.

Thanks.

Advertisement