Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to pay a solicitor?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 8:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the best way to pay a solicitor is? I don't have a cheque book so I was thinking maybe a bank draft made out to the firm would do? Or would they give me a bank account number to do a bank transfer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

A day late and a dollar short :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Tipping is not mandatory but is welcome!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Used to be guineas for barristers, but no longer.

So same as you pay any other professional.

Barter not encouraged but I have taken payment by

paintings from struggling artists

turf

a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Turf?! - the temptation to makes jokes here is enormous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

the real west, is the real west. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

ArtSmart wrote: »
    the real west, is the real west. lol

€200 cash...€400 through the books seems to be a common one!!!
    Isn't the law a fantastic thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

O+ is the most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dickdasterly

My way £20 a month :P

EURATS wrote: »

This may have happened, but situation changed due to numerous regulations starting with VAT c 1982.

Now everything has to go thru the books in solicitors' offices

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »

This may have happened, but situation changed due to numerous regulations starting with VAGT c 1982.

Now everything has to go thru the books in solicitors' office

Have seen no change in 2012

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

deadwood wrote: »
    O+ is the most popular.

As in they have the same aversion to garlic as gardai do to an apple in the mouth? Quite.

One of the advantages in a relatively small community is selective invisibiiity.

A lawyer on time off can be accosted on the street or even on the beach or wherever by a client for an update on their business.

However once the business is finished and bill sent out, same person can develope a type of selective blindness and walk past you without noticing you.

The docs or psychologists may have a name for this

If the office has a Revenue audit they may query why a number of ledger cards show no trace of a bill being issued and paid

If the office has a Revenue audit they may query why a number of ledger cards show no trace of a bill being issued and paid

Well since I'm not an accountant, I can't tell u how the books are fiddled...but I have first hand experience of this..and I know others who have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I found this acceptable quite recently.

aujopimur wrote: »
    I found this acceptable quite recently.

Is better in our pockets I suppose than Angela Merkels...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

One of the advantages in a relatively small community is selective invisibiiity.

A lawyer on time off can be accosted on the street or even on the beach or wherever by a client for an update on their business.

However once the business is finished and bill sent out, same person can develope a type of selective blindness and walk past you without noticing you.

The docs or psychologists may have a name for this

I now have a page full of boards.ie advertisements for Optical Express laser eye surgery. Might be an idea to print off the add and throw it in with the final invoice;)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

A popular one back in the Cetltic tiger days was for solicitors acting for developers building estates to take a house or two in the estate.

Strangely the value of these transactions tended to be a little odd compared to other houses in the same development until the revenue cracked down on this.

Also anyone saying €200 off the books or €400 on the books is doing it wrong. What the solicitor does is charge €2000 on the books and €1000 in cash as opposed to €4000 on the books. Given the lack of clarity on legal fees and the ease with which solicitor's rates can vary, its very hard for the revenue to prove there is undercharging going on.

In the medium term I would imagine the revenue will be looking at the legal area much closer as there is a feeling that there are some individuals in the industry who are not only involved in tax evasion but also assist numerous others in evading tax. This is similar to what the historic situation used to be in the accountancy industry, where a few bad apples were supposed to be responsible for a vast percentage of the problems. Once these problem individuals were targeted and forensically examined it supposedly had the spin-off benefit of indirectly affecting 100s of their clients.

68Murph68 wrote: »
    A popular one back in the Cetltic tiger days was for solicitors acting for developers building estates to take a house or two in the estate.

Strangely the value of these transactions tended to be a little odd compared to other houses in the same development until the revenue cracked down on this.

Also anyone saying €200 off the books or €400 on the books is doing it wrong. What the solicitor does is charge €2000 on the books and €1000 in cash as opposed to €4000 on the books. Given the lack of clarity on legal fees and the ease with which solicitor's rates can vary, its very hard for the revenue to prove there is undercharging going on.

In the medium term I would imagine the revenue will be looking at the legal area much closer as there is a feeling that there are some individuals in the industry who are not only involved in tax evasion but also assist numerous others in evading tax. This is similar to what the historic situation used to be in the accountancy industry, where a few bad apples were supposed to be responsible for a vast percentage of the problems. Once these problem individuals were targeted and forensically examined it supposedly had the spin-off benefit of indirectly affecting 100s of their clients.

€200 cash..€400 through the books..that's what I was offered for a day at the district court in 2001 and 2012. Nothing's changed. (was in punts in 2001)

• Advertisement

Re Solr buying from a builder client

would have to be substantially the same price as other houses on the estate - the Revenue nowadays have all transactions on computer

Payment of fees off the books

Revenue keep a close eye on such matters. In the case suggested ( e.g. bill 2000 settled for 1000 cash ) VAT has to be provided - thatg complicates matters.

The Revenue are auditting large numbers of solicitors practices at present. If matters like this come to light, penalties and interest arise

Advertisement