Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hard drive

Options
  • 14-08-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Please bare with me has I am new to MAC operation system.
    Currently I have alot of movies and books saved on external hard drive. This were put on the external hard drive using the windows systems. I believe I should download NTFS which I think I have done however when I plug in the external hard drive to the mac I get the following message.

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk2s1
    at /Volumes/Seagate Expansion Drive because the following problem occurred:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfuse.2.dylib
    Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g
    Reason: image not found
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

What Machine and OS are you using?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

do you mean you downloaded an NTFS driver?

from another forum

1. Uninstall every NTFS Driver (Paragon, Tuxera, NTFS-3G etc.)
    2. Restart computer
    3. Delete /System/Library/filesystems/ufsd.fs (backup just to be safe)
    4. Install any NTFS Driver, I used Paragon NTFS for Mac 9.01
    5. Restart and enjoy

BTW, I recommend using FAT32 format for external hard drives, if your planning to use it between mac and pc machines. If you wanted to do this you need to copy all the content onto a spare hard drive or even on your mac desktop (depending on the size of data). Use ‘disk utility’ on your mac to format your external drive to FAT. Your drive will be completely erased, but then you can copy over your media content from where you copied it. Just an option if you are having NTSF problems (which is windows native).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

As suggested get NTFS for Mac Os from Paragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

BTW, I recommend using FAT32 format for external hard drives, if your planning to use it between mac and pc machines..

Yes I use this too for anything that has to move between Mac & PC, but as more and more of now stream movies from Mac /PC to smart TV's, the size restriction of the FAT format will eventually take effect.

I think it's somewhere around 4.0GB, Files bigger than this can't be written to a FAT formatted disc. And yes I know that most codecs bring in movie files well under this, but I've seen HD movies in M4A format at 3.6GB!

While we're on the subject of external drives, I too am starting to run out of space on my internal 360GB drive, and am considering moving the iTunes library to an external. Anyone any experience with the Seagate 'Go Glex' range, I'm thinking of going for a 2 or 3 TB drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

MACHEAD wrote: »
    Yes I use this too for anything that has to move between Mac & PC, but as more and more of now stream movies from Mac /PC to smart TV's, the size restriction of the FAT format will eventually take effect.

I think it's somewhere around 4.0GB, Files bigger than this can't be written to a FAT formatted disc. And yes I know that most codecs bring in movie files well under this, but I've seen HD movies in M4A format at 3.6GB!

While we're on the subject of external drives, I too am starting to run out of space on my internal 360GB drive, and am considering moving the iTunes library to an external. Anyone any experience with the Seagate 'Go Glex' range, I'm thinking of going for a 2 or 3 TB drive.

True, I have to be conscious of staying below 4gb for movie files.
    I picked up a portable Seagate 1tb last weekend purely for back ups etc. working well so far. Got a free 4gb usb disc with it too.

At the moment I have a drive that plugs direct into my Samsung tv and works amazingly well (formatted in fat). When this drive is full I will look at getting a full media home server preferably wireless. It will be connected into the tv direct and il just lob movies onto it from my mac. Il use it as a home server for files too.

Next on the list though a 500gb internal ssd

• Advertisement
Advertisement