Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for a scope for my M4

Options
  • 14-08-2012 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I checked out a few scopes this afternoon in a certain airsoft shop but was a bit disappointed with what I found. Basically the "Red Dot" sight was just a showpiece that had neither a red dot or any magnification. Is there a realistic scope out there for a realistic price so I can move away from my M4's iron sights to something more authentic looking?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

Scopes are all a tad bit too much for airsoft, they are also for show. (with the exception of tuned AEGs and snipers). A 552/551 type Holo/Red Dot sight would suffice in aiding you to aim down the sights a hell of a lot faster than using the iron sights. Here is a good one -

"Eotech" style 551 RDS - http://www.hobbyairsofter.com/Airsoft-Accessories/Scopes-and-Sights/EOTech-Pro-Arms-551-holosight

I have a red dot myself, similar to this one and it looks the Biz and makes aiming a lot easier. If you do go for the sight as above, get a lens protector for it, it saves you from buying a new one each skirmish!

Lens Protector - http://sgairsoft.biz/siteapps/25121/htdocs/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=287&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54&vmcchk=1&Itemid=54

If you really want an actual scope, this one should suit your M4 as it is a compact shorter one. http://www.hobbyairsofter.com/Airsoft-Accessories/Scopes-and-Sights/Compact-Scope-4x32-with-Mounted-Rings

Hope this helps.

ALSO - with a scope you have to take your time and aim with the other eye closed whereas you can see a larger area of land when you use a Red Dot Sight. The one I linked helps you aim while having Both eyes open. An advantage some might not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭[AK47][JONNYNEW

I have both a 552 and this.

But i have to say, the red dot is much faster for acquiring targets and being on target,
    i found the 552 reflects a lot of what behind you when its sunny, making it hard to see true it.

however on dull days its great.

Conclusion:
    in the sun i use the smaller one.
    On Dull days 551/552 are great

edit, read the below post,
    I also plan on getting a 3x magnifier for my 552 like this
    the magnifier can be quick release and pops to one side leaving the 552 as normal

ends up looking like this
    KWHP5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

You can buy magnifiers for certain dot sights and holo sights. Failing that it sounds like your after something along the lines of and acog with X4 magnification.

Don't limit yourself to buying local when it comes to accessories, yes I know your supporting local business and that is great but some of the asian sites have massive selections of optics. Have a look on redwolf airsoft or ehobbyasia. throw up a link of something you like and someone may have a good idea about the brand, quality etc...

I have both a 552 and this.

But i have to say, the red dot is much faster for acquiring targets and being on target,
    i font the 552 reflects a lot of what behind you when its sunny, making it hard to see true it.

however on dull days its great. sun i use the smaller one,,

The 552 works AND looks a hell of a lot better. IMO The red dot sight looks crap, might work well but looks crap. Again this is my own opinion so don't rage at me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I use a 4x magnifier scope a lot of the time, I find it does help for blind bastards like me. Used a clone ACOG for a long time, now use the Elcan Spector, which is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭[AK47][JONNYNEW

brian888 wrote: »
    The 552 works AND looks a hell of a lot better. IMO The red dot sight looks crap, might work well but looks crap. Again this is my own opinion so don't rage at me :P

i fully agree, 552 looks the business, i just think the red dot is more user friendly, especially on sunny days

i fully agree, 552 looks the business, i just think the red dot is more user friendly, especially on sunny days

Mhm. I see what your saying but have you tied other sights? Maybe it's just your own experience. Some sights are good and some brands kick-ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Have to agree the glare on the eotech makes it unusable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

What do you want from the scope/sight?

There are two main options - magnified, or not. Most people look at that as RDS (red dot sight) V Magnified Scope.

Now since this is airsoft, a RDS is all you "need" because of the ranges that we're shooting at. But no sight is perfect, and it is all down to how well you have it zeroed. BB's do not move in straight lines, so you need to know where your reticule is in relation to the BB at X distance so that you can adjust your aim.

The big problem I have with RDS' is that the reticule becomes a point of focus, and I lose track of the BB's making adjusting aim a pain at times. I never have that hassle with a magnified sight as you can see the end path of the BB.

RDS scopes are best suited to CQB - when properly zeroed they allow for a very fast target acquisition, and they work effectively for the faster pace of game. You have to train yourself to use them properly; both eyes need to be open, and you try and look beyond the reticule instead of at it. This gives you a wider field of view, and allows the scope to actually work. As far as RDS' go, here's my thoughts on the ones I own:
    - Standard tunnel RDS: Does the job; looks are pretty piss poor though, in my opinion. No complaints on function...just fashion

- Aimpoint Military RDS: One of the best RDS around - it's still a tunnel sight, but they look amazing when on the L-shape offset mount. They're grand on standard mounts...just not as swish looking! Put on a killflash, and you never need worry about your sight's lens going caput. Looks-wise, this is an odd one. It will either look great, or ****e. I have never found an inbetween on different guns...

- ACOG-style RDS: These look fantastic, and are great for a gun that you want the look of the ACOG, but the functionality of the RDS. I use it on my ICS 552, as they look made for each other...but magnified sight on a gun I primarily use at short distances didn't make sense, so once again I phoned the fashion police and got myself a sell-out :D. I think these compliment any assault rifle beautifully.

- EO-Tech 551: The smaller of the EOTECH family, these sights have a large target reticule which makes seeing beyond it extraordinarily difficult if you do not use it properly. Once correctly used it is very effective. Please remember that this is not a HoloSight. Real holosights are completely different internally. Ultimately the 551 is not one I would recommend, because you can buy the 552 instead and not have LR44 batteries to worry about. These look great on smaller guns such as P90 etc

- EO-Tech 552: This one uses either AA or AAA batteries, depending on which one you pick up, and is a beauty. Very easy to use, looks the part, and has nifty lens protectors available for it. The problem with this sight is the glare - it makes using it more difficult. Again, you need to practise and then it becomes much more refined. Look deadly on M4's

- CMore/Multi-Reticule/etc RDS: These open top sights differ from the tunnel ones (e.g. Aimpoint Military, ACOG-style etc) by giving a greater field of vision, and make it easier to keep both eyes open. I guess it's partly conditioning. You see an enclosed sight and you try to look through it instead of past it. Anywho, these sights are great...functionally at least. My gripe is they're easy to shoot out, difficult to protect (though there are now rail mounted lens protectors; no more needing to MacGuyver up a solution), and look fantastic on small-arms. Not good on M4's in my opinion.

Now, magnified sights are another kettle of fish altogether. They are best used outdoors at longer ranges, and really you're only going as far as 4x magnification with as wide an objective lens diameter as you can get (while still looking good! You must not forget that part :D) so that as much light is let through, enabling you to see more. A good optic should be clear, and crisp. I'm a fan of more compact ones such as the ACOG or ELCAN instead of the traditional rifle scopes, especially when it comes to mounting them on an M4. The great thing about magnified sights is you can watch the path of the BB, and see them bouncing off people, or see interference (e.g. vegetation etc) that you wouldn't have noticed. If your eyesight isn't great, it also lets you get back into the game more, at least I've found that!
    As above with the RDS' I'll run through my thoughts on the ones I own.

- 3-16x 50mm Rifle scope: This is one very clear scope, and has a lot of bells and whistles. Realistically it is a nice sniping scope as it has tool-less adjustment, and enables a quick toggle for spotting. Shooting you're never using more than 3 or 4 times magnification. EVERYTHING else is overkill. You'd use it once in a blue moon to see further away, but realistically I have it locked on 4x. It's overkill, and looks cack on anything except a DMR/Bolt Action rifle.

- ACOG TA31 (4x32): This is the most handsome scope I think exists. If you get yourself a good one, then you'll have beautiful optic clarity, and a very easy to use piece. The eye relief is atrocious though - you need to be right up against it to see properly. Looks perfect on an M4...literally.

- ELCAN: Another great sight. Easy to use, easy to adjust, tough and attractive...though it really looks...um...off, unless it's on a support gun. I have always found it odd seeing them on CQB M4's. It's just too bulky. Looks a treat on an M249 though.

- Aimpoint/EoTech Magnifiers: These are a great idea. You have the function of your RDS, but also a quick detach magnified sight as well. They are not without their problems though...mainly that the optical clarity is dependent on whether you use a lens protector etc. You can find yourself regretting their use very quickly. These look the part on monolithic rails such as on the SCAR etc.

I've harped on enough...I hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

What I was looking for was an easy to use ACOG sight that would look " right" on my M4 but would also serve a real purpose of putting a dot on my intended target. The 552 sight would be a second choice for me as I prefer the look of the ACOG sight but I'd be prepared to be persuaded otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

What I was looking for was an easy to use ACOG sight that would look " right" on my M4 but would also serve a real purpose of putting a dot on my intended target. The 552 sight would be a second choice for me as I prefer the look of the ACOG sight but I'd be prepared to be persuaded otherwise.

Are you going to Rionegro? If you are, I'll bring both sights with me and you can have a look at them on your rifle :)

Just to resurrect this thread.

I had my first skirmishing session and tbh, a sight would have been more of a hindrance than a help as the game moves so fast that you can't sit still long enough to aim down a sight. If you do, you're more likely to get hit yourself. In addition, wearing a face mask makes it damn hard to look down the metal sights as the mask won't let you tuck the gun into your face. There was one guy with a Swiss Arms ACOG sight and he took it off after one session as it was of no use to him in the fast moving and CQB game we were playing. He was also worried about the scope getting a hit and breaking the lens.

However I still want a sight for my target shooting out in the garden. I'm pretty nifty aiming down the metal sights but apart from having that realistic look, I'd still like a sight just to see if it can improve my aim. Having looked at the 552 and an ACOG, I just can't decide which would be the best looking on my M4 and of most use in my plinking sessions.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Just to resurrect this thread.

I had my first skirmishing session and tbh, a sight would have been more of a hindrance than a help as the game moves so fast that you can't sit still long enough to aim down a sight. If you do, you're more likely to get hit yourself. In addition, wearing a face mask makes it damn hard to look down the metal sights as the mask won't let you tuck the gun into your face. There was one guy with a Swiss Arms ACOG sight and he took it off after one session as it was of no use to him in the fast moving and CQB game we were playing. He was also worried about the scope getting a hit and breaking the lens.

However I still want a sight for my target shooting out in the garden. I'm pretty nifty aiming down the metal sights but apart from having that realistic look, I'd still like a sight just to see if it can improve my aim. Having looked at the 552 and an ACOG, I just can't decide which would be the best looking on my M4 and of most use in my plinking sessions.:confused:

an acog look the best on most M4/M16's but the magnification I just cannot see the use of, the EOtech's look pretty cool too but most replica's are pretty bad (unless you can fork out for a real one)
    the 552 let's you aim pretty quick down the sites where as the ACOG can be used for scanning fr targets.
    have you ever considered a reflex or aimpoint Dave? most red dot sites were designed to be used along side your iron sights. remove the back sight and then use the red dot in the sight to line up with the front post on the front sight, it makes for very fast targeting.

T4RGET wrote: »
    an acog look the best on most M4/M16's but the magnification I just cannot see the use of, the EOtech's look pretty cool too but most replica's are pretty bad (unless you can fork out for a real one)
    the 552 let's you aim pretty quick down the sites where as the ACOG can be used for scanning fr targets.
    have you ever considered a reflex or aimpoint Dave? most red dot sites were designed to be used along side your iron sights. remove the back sight and then use the red dot in the sight to line up with the front post on the front sight, it makes for very fast targeting.

At the distance our aeg's shoot, I guess there is no need for magnification as bb's only go about 40-50 metres anyway and even at my age, I can still see that far:D. Apart from looking good on the gun, I'd like the rapid target acquisition a red dot would give me, I.e. dot on target and shoot. Never heard of a reflex or aimpoint so I guess that's more research I need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

At the distance our aeg's shoot, I guess there is no need for magnification as bb's only go about 40-50 metres anyway and even at my age, I can still see that far:D. Apart from looking good on the gun, I'd like the rapid target acquisition a red dot would give me, I.e. dot on target and shoot. Never heard of a reflex or aimpoint so I guess that's more research I need to do.

when ever you drop that M4 down I'll show you an aimpoint
    and here's a reflex
    this is what they look like
    http://www.hobbyairsoft.ie/products.php?airsoft=Micro-DotSight-with-Light-Sensor&cmd=detail&id=63876&cat=03&subcat=17
    I personally don't like the look of them but the speed at which you can acquire a target is pretty impressive with this as they're just a screen and not a 'tunnel' like an aimpoint or a ACOG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

This is an Aimpoint M2, just to give you an idea.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2qfaWJQDxA-lNs2HSn8tKItsU3m8cuMp-FkRZxfO_vOfFHx82

I use a cloned one for skirmishing and I must say it is a great targeting aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Have a look at T-1 micro dot sights, some people don't like these on account of it the lens size and reticle being so small, well the clue is in the name so what you expect.

They don't really get in your way, good for fast target acquisition, look pretty sweet on a M4 IMO.

Dytac make the best replica of these sights:

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Accessories_Scopes_and_Sights_AEG_Dytac_Red_Dot_Sight_With_AD_Style_Co_Witness_QD_Mount.htm

Advertisement