Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII (PC)

Options
  • 14-08-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭

I tried searching but couldnt find the right thread, sorry. There are a lot of FF7 threads oddly enough..

Anyways, here
    https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

it's on sale again for the pc with some new features, dont get too excited, it just means it'll work properly on new hardware and os's

Still, cant go wrong with a game of it's calibre for a tenner!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any word on whether it still has the awful midi music from the PC version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah we had a thread recently

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056692926

And it came out on PC years ago anyways, and was an awful port :P , I found anyways.
    They could at least touch up the music

I wonder could someone mod it to play the actual MP3s or FLACs that were released by Distant Worlds etc and the other FF scores, the orchestral ones too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Retr0gamer wrote: »

no idea i'll let ye know once i've downloaded it. yep i'm a sucker.. i bought it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

yup it is :(

On the more remarkable side, the Game accidentally went live yesterday for a few hours and a couple of people bought it and Square Enix have offered the a Refund AND a copy of the game for free. First time I eve heard of SE doing something like that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah we had a thread recently

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056692926

And it came out on PC years ago anyways, and was an awful port :P , I found anyways.
    They could at least touch up the music

I wonder could someone mod it to play the actual MP3s or FLACs that were released by Distant Worlds etc and the other FF scores, the orchestral ones too :D
    There are complete mods for FF7... including FLAC music, better character models and overall graphics improvements. There are multiple options such as the Rebirth mod, the Remix compilation and/or the hardcore version (in which you will die, a lot). It's amazing how ****ing hard the game can be when you Big Guard doesn't cast on your entire party.

• Advertisement

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    There are complete mods for FF7... including FLAC music, better character models and overall graphics improvements. There are multiple options such as the Rebirth mod, the Remix compilation and/or the hardcore version (in which you will die, a lot). It's amazing how ****ing hard the game can be when you Big Guard doesn't cast on your entire party.

Gotta any vids of the game in action with said music ?

A quick search on youtube gives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEUxf1O_ijU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcFw-hKHGrQ

There's multiple sets of remixed/ripped iirc. Some of it ripped from Crisis Core/Advent Children or Black Mages' album.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Music sounds pretty terrible in most of them. I'd much prefer rips on the PS1's soundtrack even if the sound engineering was a bit crap in them. there might be a way to use a midi sound font to get better sounding midi, it's worth looking up. I used one for System Shock recently and it sounded excellent.

I quite like the black mages sound track myself but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I've done the soundfont midi mod myself before and it definitely works. I can't remember exactly how but if you google it on the Qhimm forums you'll find a way. I'm guessing it will work with this version as well. Personally it's my favourite out of all the soundtrack options, I hate heavy metal remixes of old video game OSTs.

• Advertisement

yeah, just been playing it there, not much has changed tbh.

The character sprites look a little more clear in fights, it supports various different resolutions rather just 640x420 & 1024x768.
    The controls on the keyboard are a fcking joke, but can be easily reconfigured, joypad&stick support is there, the sound is alright, i'm not noticing anything majorly different which tbfh.. i'm glad of.

I loved the game back in the 90's and i'm sure it'll be just as fun getting to know it all over again now :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Well I live abroad now, so I tried creating an american account, european account, neither will let me live, cause they have been to busy tracking IP's to make a system that works as well as Steam, instead of creating THAT COMPLETE CLUSTER**** I JUST HAD TO WADE THROUGH SQUARE ENIX WHAT THE ****! Jesus. Guaranteed once it hits the asian store there isn't an English version. Kinda missing out on a bit of the bloody obvious market there eh Square??

yeah, just been playing it there, not much has changed tbh.

The character sprites look a little more clear in fights, it supports various different resolutions rather just 640x420 & 1024x768.
    The controls on the keyboard are a fcking joke, but can be easily reconfigured, joypad&stick support is there, the sound is alright, i'm not noticing anything majorly different which tbfh.. i'm glad of.

I loved the game back in the 90's and i'm sure it'll be just as fun getting to know it all over again now :)

I dunno, I think I'll keep my good memories through rose tinted glasses :D:)
    I know for a fact that if I go back and play it now, that Cloud, one of my fave characters ever ..will drive me mental because he is as emo as Squall, and I don't want that.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I dunno, I think I'll keep my good memories through rose tinted glasses :D:)
    I know for a fact that if I go back and play it now, that Cloud, one of my fave characters ever ..will drive me mental because he is as emo as Squall, and I don't want that.

lol was thinking that too, but squall is a lot worse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Running in 1920x1080.
    Character models are a lot more colourful and appear more detailed.
    Background still look bad but that was expected.
    The MIDI music is just plain awful. I'm already trying to find a way to swap it out for the PS versions.
    It does run really fast though, pretty much no loading times.

The music is the 'proper' MIDI soundtrack that you had to mod into it before. If you compare some of the original PS1 stuff a lot of the PC stuff actually sounds way better and clearer. The PS1 version is way harsher.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Uh, which is the better version according to you, and the one featured in the re-release? Cause that second video sounds horrific...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

2nd one is the pc version. And i think it's the same in the re-release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

What are you on about? The PC version, in no way at all, sounds better right now.

• Advertisement

Actually, hold on a minute here. When I played earlier I only had the most briefest of hand-ons but it seems like the soundtrack is not the same as the Yamaha soundcard version posted above. If you look through the .ogg files in the game install folder you can listen to them yourself. One-Winged Angel (lb2.ogg) has no lyrics. The motorcycle theme doesn't sound right either (chase.ogg). Looks like I'm going to have to look for that soundfont mod again and see if it still works, although I'm guessing not seeing as it's just the original MIDI turned into ogg files for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,311 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I still don't understand why the PC version doesn't use the same music files the PS1 did.

Those PC versions of the music use a yamaha synthesiser program that you got with the original release. Edit: actually it's using a rather rare yamaha soundcard, good luck finding one of those and getting it working on a modern OS. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't come with this re-release so you'll have to use plain midi.
    noodler wrote: »
    I still don't understand why the PC version doesn't use the same music files the PS1 did.

It's just a lazy port. The PS1 uses it's own sound system which works like midi but you can add your own sampled instruments. The PC version just uses plain midi files and when these are played on sound blaster and clones of these cards they sound terrible because of how bad they are at handling midi. Anyway the music has to loop and the only way to loop music back then was to use midi. MP3 quality music would have been one way but wasn't really around then, might not have been invented and it would have been a major strain on the CPU's back then to decode it.

A way around it is to add your own midi sampled instruments using a soundfont that are close to the FFVII samples but I'm not sure if it's possible yet with this release and it was a bit of a pain in the arse to get it working on System Shock (but totally worth it).

snausages wrote: »
    Actually, hold on a minute here. When I played earlier I only had the most briefest of hand-ons but it seems like the soundtrack is not the same as the Yamaha soundcard version posted above. If you look through the .ogg files in the game install folder you can listen to them yourself. One-Winged Angel (lb2.ogg) has no lyrics. The motorcycle theme doesn't sound right either (chase.ogg). Looks like I'm going to have to look for that soundfont mod again and see if it still works, although I'm guessing not seeing as it's just the original MIDI turned into ogg files for some reason.

I'm pretty sure the original PC version was missing the lyrics from one winged angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

snausages wrote: »
    Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. The motorcycle theme is way better imo as well.

Yes, we will all disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Those PC versions of the music use a yamaha synthesiser program that you got with the original release. Edit: actually it's using a rather rare yamaha soundcard, good luck finding one of those and getting it working on a modern OS. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't come with this re-release so you'll have to use plain midi.

Was it a Yamaha XG? those are really easy to get

edit:
    Oh I see what you mean.. a daughterboard addon?

Well regardless of soundtrack preferences, I was fooling around with it last night and all you need to do is put your preferred .ogg files in the music_ogg folder. Just make sure they're named right and they'll play fine. You can use this for the original PS1 soundtrack or the yamaha one if you want (as there are recorded files of the latter online, OWA vocals and all.)

So you could, if you wanted, rip the audio from the soundtrack, convert it to .ogg, and replace the in-game music?

I think. I just grabbed the original PS1 oggs off Gamefront to try and they work fine.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22130809/Fixed+FF7+Fixed+Music.zip (I take it this is legal? If not and a mod needs to delete, the link can be found on neogaf and gamefaqs)

Just renaming the yahama ones now as well. Some people have reported looping issues, but it works ok for me so far.

• Advertisement

Wow...they put a lot of effort into making the achievements interesting :rolleyes:
    • End of Part I: Complete the first part of the game
    • End of Part II: Complete the second part of the game
    • End of Game: Complete Final Fantasy VII
    • Master Materia: Reach the maximum level of any Materia
    • Master of Gil: 99,999,999 Gil
    • Top Level: Reach level 99 with any character
    • Knights of the Round: Get materia Knights of the Round
    • Omnislash: Get Cloud's last Limit Break
    • Catastrophe: Get Barret's last Limit Break
    • Chaos: Get Vincent's last Limit Break
    • Great Gospel: Get Aeris's last Limit Break
    • Highwind: Get Cid's last Limit Break