Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camoflage

Options
  • 14-08-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi all, i have heard that if you add in a half cup of vinegar when u wash your camo that slows camo from fading is that true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Hi all, i have heard that if you add in a half cup of vinegar when u wash your camo that slows camo from fading is that true?

As it contains acetic acid, and the distilled stuff has a pH of less than 3 I'd say no it's not true.

The rule of thumb is wash infrequently, on a 30 degree cycle, with a detergent that does not have optical brighteners. I'd recommend the Ecover stuff.

Oh, and and make sure your camo is decent quality. The Chinese stuff is cheap for a reason. No matter what you do it will fade rapidly every time it is washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishRebels

yeah thanks, my camo are not from china, they are from the actual army but they were used but still in decent quality. i just dont want then fade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

will be honest with you stuff is going to fade, you can minimize it by using the methods given by sliabh

just because it is issue does not mean it is good quality, normally made by the lowest bidder as they say :) issued flecktarn is famous for fading and going pink over time for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'm looking for some camo gear that won't fade like mentioned above but will stand up to some hard wearing. I don't want to pay a fortune but might spend a bit more than I can afford if it's good quality. Any recommendations, preferably in Ireland as I'd like to see it and try it on before buying. Btw, do you buy your normal size or buy a size larger as army gear always seems to be baggy? The type I'm looking for is US army ACU which is different to everyone else's choice of woodland style. Ok I might stand out on the battlefield and thus it defeats the purpose but I like the style:o

Any recommendations on a helmet as well

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

I'm looking for some camo gear that won't fade like mentioned above but will stand up to some hard wearing. I don't want to pay a fortune but might spend a bit more than I can afford if it's good quality. Any recommendations, preferably in Ireland as I'd like to see it and try it on before buying. Btw, do you buy your normal size or buy a size larger as army gear always seems to be baggy? The type I'm looking for is US army ACU which is different to everyone else's choice of woodland style. Ok I might stand out on the battlefield and thus it defeats the purpose but I like the style:o

Any recommendations on a helmet as well

Thanks

If you want good affordable camo you can always buy Helikon. It is a very well known brand at around €70-90 for a uniform, depending on what camo style you want. If you want to try it on, go to

http://www.thecamoshop.ie/ They are located in Cabra/Finglas/Glasnevin area@

Unit 1a
    Ballybogan industrial estate
    Ballybogan road
    Glasnevin
    Dublin 11

• Advertisement

Cheers Brian. They have the style I want but not in my size:mad:

I'll give them a bell tomorrow to see if they can get my size in.

Cheers Brian. They have the style I want but not in my size:mad:

I'll give them a bell tomorrow to see if they can get my size in.

They probably do have the size in stock, just reserved for walk in customers sometimes. I would make sure to call them first because you don't want to make a wasted trip! I have been there once or twice and found the guy to be really helpful. It's quite a small showroom but has quite a few styles to choose from. Go up to the place and try them on. I had my intention to buy some surplus but ended up buying Helikon because the materials looked and felt so much better.

what do issued mean? as it says pants are in issued but in good condition

They were given and used by the soldiers in that countrys' armed forces and they gave the gear back when they came home from duty. They are "issued" to the military.

oh thanks, so them ones has a decent quality and wont fade easily right?

• Advertisement

Erm, depends. If they are in good condition they are ok and if not then likewise. Surplus gear is normally already faded from use so if you are looking for an authentic battlefield look surplus is deadly. If you are worried about quality then just go with new gear, as it will last a bit longer. My advice is to actually go have a look before buying. Never buy clothes online. Unless they are REALLY really special.

Brian

I went to the camo shop today and got sorted. The guy who runs the place is sound. Thanks for the tip.

David

Glad that you got your stuff. :D

Hope to see you "on the field" sometime.

are ye all live in Dublin area yeah?

I certainly do live in Dublin yeah.

I'm originally from the north side of Dublin but now live in Kildare. Well someone has to bring civilisation to the natives;):D

and are ye all in a airsoft team?

I am not, as there is no need. I go up to the site and play with whoever shows up!

Which site would that be btw as I'm looking for my first skirmish session this weekend.

I go to Rathbeggan Lakes in Dunshauglin Co Meath. They are closest to me so I kinda have to go there as my parents drive me. I've been around 6-7 times maybe and found it to be really good craic everytime.

• Advertisement

As it is a family park as well as an airsoft site they tend to have a bit more newcomers every week so it's very friendly to new players. Kinda awkward in the first twenty minutes but wehn you start running around shooting people you start talking to people and having a good time.

Do you need to book in advance? Trying to get my brother to go with me and he can't make up his mind (lazy ar$e) so I might end up going by by myself.

Do you need to book in advance? Trying to get my brother to go with me and he can't make up his mind (lazy ar$e) so I might end up going by by myself.

Nope no need. Show up about ten minutes before game time and you are sorted.
    It's either Sat/Sun morning or Friday evening. I go every Saturday when I can.

http://www.rathbegganlakes.com/airsoft-games/

http://www.rathbegganairsoft.com/

You must sign a waiver before playing, located on the second link

Don't mean to be ageist, but in the photos, everyone appears to be about 14. I'm a great deal older than that:o. I take it they cater to the more mature player?:D

The few times I was there I have at least seen two people each skirmish over 30-40 with their kid there. Fellas from DCU go up a lot and if you seriously have a problem with the younger lads then I reccomend going up Sunday.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117069964983606/467433583280574/?notif_t=group_activity

Here is their facebook page if you want to have a look-see

brian888 wrote: »
    The few times I was there I have at least seen two people each skirmish over 30-40 with their kid there. Fellas from DCU go up a lot and if you seriously have a problem with the younger lads then I reccomend going up Sunday.

It's not that I have a problem with the younger lads, it's just I'd prefer to also have some other older guys huffing and puffing as we run away from the younger guys.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

In my experience, the older guys sit tight and the younger ones run into their sights.

Not all of the time, but enough times :-)

• Advertisement

It's not that I have a problem with the younger lads, it's just I'd prefer to also have some other older guys huffing and puffing as we run away from the younger guys.:D

One things for sure, if you are even remotely in shape you will be better at running than me :P Airsoft is one of those sports where fitness isn't an issue, it's more of an advantage. Don't be worried about age differences and all that biz, but if you don't want to go on your own, bring a friend or your brother as you said. I went into my first skirmish alone and I had a blast. That day was Rumblin For Crumlin charity event where there were over 100 players on site of all ages. I was talking to a guy at least in his 30s and I decided to run and gun with him.
    One way or another you will make friends when shouting out the enemies postions.

Advertisement