Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on trading in for Renault Megane 1.5 diesel

Options
  • 14-08-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi
    Just wondering what people think
    I have a Peugeot 207 1.4 Petrol. 07 171000 KM and as I do a lot of milage I want to trade in for diesel and go up a couple years
    I dont know a lot bout cars, my meachanic advised on a Ford Focus. The very minimum I would have to give with my own is 10k (gettting between 2,5k to 3,5 k depending on the dealer)
    i have seen a 09 Renault Megane 1.5 diesel 80000km and can get it for 7k with my own (garage giving me 6k for my own). Now Im just suspicious that I am getting so much more from this one dealer..does this sounda bout right? I am gettig a year warranty so thinking thee cant be anything wrong with it?! Or is it just not worth 13k to start wiith?
    I just looking for reliable economical car..wat do people think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Dont touch a Renault Megane. My Mum has a 2006 1.5dci Megane Estate which she bought brand new. Has 130,000KM on it and the running bills are massive. everything has gone wrong and cost 100's to repair. air bags, window motors, bootlid electric handle, interior fan and aircon, back wiper has its own life and never turns off, key cards stop working. To change a bulb such as dipped head light, u need a degree in Mechanics. It has failed the NCT everytime, despite a full main dealer history. The car cost 27,000euro new as it is a top of the range estate, its only worth max 3,500 now.

On the positive, it seems to wear well, and is extremely good on diesel, nearly runs on fresh air. My opinion, Get a Golf. 2nd hand renaults are cheap for a reason, cos they all have major problems. Oh forgot to add, that nearly every possible dash warning light is on. Airbag warning light is on for years depsite being replaced 3 times@main dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Don't listen to the guy above if it's the current version, totally different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 geri72

Thanks
    It is the newer version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Just a suggestion but would you consider selling your car privately and buying privately (have your mechanic check the car out) neither option above seems like a great deal tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think people may be overestimating what a 1.4 207 is worth. You wouldn't believe what we bought 08 ex rental ones for back in 09.

You won't always do better selling privately.

• Advertisement

i dont want to sell privately as on my previous threads here i have had a lot of problems with the peugeot in the last 6 mths, still have anti pollution light on after spending most of he time in the garage..dont want people coming back to me with probelems that im pretty sure they are going to encounter

yes i agree. having done the rounds i think 6k for the peugeot seems like a great deal. some garages only giving 2.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

From what I have seen of the current generation Megane they aren't a bad car at all.

€7k to swap sounds about right, but the supposed €6k trade in allowance is a classic example of how dealers use the sale price of the car to make it look like you are being offered more for your own car than you actually are. I would suggest a realistic valuation of €10-11k on that Megane, which means in reality you are getting €3-4k on your own rather than the €6k. So it is the cost to change you need to concentrate on rather than the trade-in figure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

New version Megane aren't a bad motor, the 05/06/07 were more of a migraine than a car so the 09 is a lot more reliable.
    I would still trump the Focus though seen that the one I owned from new, went to my wife and my brother in law has it now, has 146k miles on it and never once (touch wood) given a single days problem.

Good luck with the buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Focuses are popular for a reason, one thing that is very important with the 1.6 TDCi is to adhere rigidly to the service intervals, and only let it be maintained by a mechanic that you trust. Those engines can give trouble if they're not maintained properly BUT if it's serviced on time every time a Focus will not let you down. The 1.6 engine is used in numerous cars these days (everything from a Mini to a Volvo S80) and is a good strong reliable engine - but prompt and correct servicing is vital!

If you want maximum reliability, get the 1.8 TDCi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

Carson10 wrote: »
    Dont touch a Renault Megane. My Mum has a 2006 1.5dci Megane Estate which she bought brand new. Has 130,000KM on it and the running bills are massive. everything has gone wrong and cost 100's to repair. air bags, window motors, bootlid electric handle, interior fan and aircon, back wiper has its own life and never turns off, key cards stop working. To change a bulb such as dipped head light, u need a degree in Mechanics. It has failed the NCT everytime, despite a full main dealer history. The car cost 27,000euro new as it is a top of the range estate, its only worth max 3,500 now.

On the positive, it seems to wear well, and is extremely good on diesel, nearly runs on fresh air. My opinion, Get a Golf. 2nd hand renaults are cheap for a reason, cos they all have major problems. Oh forgot to add, that nearly every possible dash warning light is on. Airbag warning light is on for years depsite being replaced 3 times@main dealer.

Car falls apart yet still has a positive side :pac:

Bit of an optimist there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

The new megane is a great car. The 2011 version got the 90bhp engine. Look around, you may get a newer version for your money.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/1.5-DCI-/6613389918091050/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Buck Turgidson

How can anybody say the new Renault is a great car, nothing like the previous one at all at all ?

The new version only came out in '09, so at most is three and a bit years old. My '05 model was fine for two and a half years, before it revealed itself to be a total sh1tbox.

So why would we assume the new one is any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 highlighter john

A good friend of mine has a 2010 1.5 diesel hatchback and loves it. He is getting very good MPG and finds it very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

A good friend of mine has a 2010 1.5 diesel hatchback and loves it. He is getting very good MPG and finds it very reliable.

How could a 2010 not be reliable? Hoe could you even measure a 2010s reliability?

Advertisement