Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sofya Ochigava - Sore loser?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What a cnut! And the gall of her to make such a claim when it's as plain as the nose on your face that she just is not as good as Katie. Very close, but no cigar, Sofya!

BTW, your ? was not needed. She is without a doubt a sore loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

She's nothing but a sore loser and a mouth!

She spat in the ring during the medal ceremony/national anthem and stood with her arms folded like a bold child. Lost all respect for her then!

She hasn't won the world Championship since 2006 (correct me if I'm wrong) with Katie Taylor winning it each time since. Maybe she's reached her peak??

IMO terrible way for a sportsperson to behave!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ms Happy wrote: »

She spat in the ring during the medal ceremony/national anthem and stood with her arms folded like a bold child. Lost all respect for her then!

She hasn't won the world Championship since 2006 (correct me if I'm wrong) with Katie Taylor winning it each time since. Maybe she's reached her peak??

Katie won it in 2006, and every 2 year since.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

cowzerp wrote: »
    Katie won it in 2006, and every 2 year since.

I think she has won world titles at a different weight and only came into Katie's weight in the last 3 years.

• Advertisement

Ochigav moved up in weight in recent years. She has won world belts at lower divisions. 2005 at 52 Kgs and 2006 at 54 kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I'd take with a pinch of salt anything a boxer pro or amateur says to the media but i say leave her to it. If she honestly believes what she's saying then she'll always finish second. Introspection can be a tough process for some people!

Ms Happy wrote: »

exactly she was well beaten, i am surprised at her reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Can the Boxing trainers get their hands on the rest of the Irish Olympic Squad. They were spot on getting the Irish boxing team up to an admirable world standard.

I don't want to see competitors who come 20th in the world as their Personal Best, representing Ireland. Sure isn't it obvious they aren't up to scratch, unless all the other countries get swine flu/broken legs/the plague they won't get a medal. None of these excuses about our small country. Our lack of medals apart from Boxing, over the years is dreadful. I see Jamaica, with a 2.8 million population, got 12 medals, 4 of those Gold, 4 Silver.

Track and Field especially, would benefit in performance from some excellent boxing training, both mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Cathyht wrote: »
    Can the Boxing trainers get their hands on the rest of the Irish Olympic Squad. They were spot on getting the Irish boxing team up to an admirable world standard.

I don't want to see competitors who come 20th in the world as their Personal Best, representing Ireland. Sure isn't it obvious they aren't up to scratch, unless all the other countries get swine flu/broken legs/the plague they won't get a medal. None of these excuses about our small country. Our lack of medals apart from Boxing, over the years is dreadful. I see Jamaica, with a 2.8 million population, got 12 medals, 4 of those Gold, 4 Silver.

Track and Field especially, would benefit in performance from some excellent boxing training, both mentally and physically.

Alot of people wanted Alistair Cragg to get punched but I don't think this is what they meant.

• Advertisement

Track and Field and Boxing are completely different sports so don't make retarded comparisons. Jamaica's dominance of sprinting has nothing to do with being a big/ small country but rather their genetic make-up and the fact sprinting is part of their culture (like GAA is here). Athletics in Ireland gets bugger all funding, media coverage, participation (lose most young kids to field sports) so it's a bit hard for us to compete in what is the most worldwide sport on earth.

Let's not forget Rob Heffernan's incredible performance to come 4th. His performance puts him 14th on the all time list for his event, and would have won silver in Beijing and gold in every other Olympic Games before that, so Irish athletics certainly have got people who can bring it on the big occasion.

Right, back to boxing. Sorry for feeding the troll.

Speed, mental attitude, determination, weights, balance, all these facets carry through. Even those competing in field sports - such as footballer Katie Taylor, benefit from the excellent stamina boxing training provides. It is ridiculous to hide behind the excuse that a certain country has jurisdiction over...Running!!! It is the basis for all sports. If the drive and ability are there, they will come out with correct training. The mental attitude is number 1 and the boxing trainers got THAT spot on. This is not a retarded comparison (less of the unpleasant digs) but sound fact.

4th place doth no medal gain.

As well as running, track and field comprises lots of other aspects, such as discus, shot putt, long and high jump etc., there is no reason we shouldn't be world class - in the top 3 - Medal winners, in at least one of these categories. The combined events particularly would suit an athlete of high stamina and excellent focus.

So, Cathyht, what would be a respectable medal haul from our track and field stars? How many medals should Ireland get from 4.5 million people at an Olympic Games? You do realise that the likes of the U.S. and India and China etc all want them medals too? Combined population of approx 2.6 billion people.

Boxing is a subjective scoring sport, and that it was quite possible that ALL our 6 boxers could have been eliminated in rd 1. I get the feeling that had that happened we would be reading a completely different post from yourself.

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Track and Field and Boxing are completely different sports so don't make retarded comparisons..

Any real need for that kind of reply? Not possible to just be a wee bit more polite?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

This is great. Makes Katie's win all the sweeter when you see what a nasty piece of work she beat to get the medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highcream

In fairness,we were saying the same when kenny egan lost ,that it was a fix which it clearly was.I havent watched the taylor fight as was on holiday but 10-8 seems incredibly close.The crowd could certainly have counted for an extra point or 2

maddragon wrote: »
    This is great. Makes Katie's win all the sweeter when you see what a nasty piece of work she beat to get the medal.

highcream wrote: »
    In fairness,we were saying the same when kenny egan lost ,that it was a fix which it clearly was.I havent watched the taylor fight as was on holiday but 10-8 seems incredibly close.The crowd could certainly have counted for an extra point or 2

I was not in agreement with the Egan affair at all. I thought we showed sour grapes there and I thought it was wholly wrong for certain officials etc to be claiming a robbery. Showed us up in a bad light. The Egan fight for me was a close fight that I thought Egan nicked, but it was not a robbery.

Ochigava's antics make Egans' seem tame. She was a cnut! Her rotten behaviour began even before the bout!

4th place doth no medal gain.

If they handed out 2 bronze medals in athletics like they do in boxing then Rob Heffernan would have a medal. FACT!

If they handed out 2 bronze medals in athletics like they do in boxing then Rob Heffernan would have a medal. FACT!

It's not comparable, the boxers are out of the competition when they lose and are considered joint 3rd, rob came 4th. Not debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wouldn't take it too seriously, its all tongue in cheek i reckon

they shared a joke after the fight don't forget

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    It's not comparable, the boxers are out of the competition when they lose and are considered joint 3rd, rob came 4th. Not debatable.

Have always wondered why boxing gives 2 bronze medals when most other sports have a bronze medal match. If there was a box off for bronze then our overall Olympic tally over the years on boxing would be less for sure, as we have won a lot of bronze in boxing. Not that I'm complaining. Either way Rob Heffernan is in the top 4 in his discipline, and Michael Conlon is in the top 4 of his. There is no clear cut evidence to suggest that he is 3rd or 4th, but rather the top 4 and a bronze medallist.

fryup wrote: »
    wouldn't take it too seriously, its all tongue in cheek i reckon

they shared a joke after the fight don't forget

No, it is not tongue in cheek, and are you really fooled by Sofya's feigned joy? The girl was seething on that podium, seething! It was Katie who forced a smile out of Sofya. Did you hear her remarks before the fight. Disgraceful way to speak about a so called friend and fellow competitor, and a disgraceful way to speak about our country. No ifs or buts, there is no excusing or defending it as far as I am concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have always wondered why boxing gives 2 bronze medals when most other sports have a bronze medal match. If there was a box off for bronze then our overall Olympic tally over the years on boxing would be less for sure, as we have won a lot of bronze in boxing. Not that I'm complaining. Either way Rob Heffernan is in the top 4 in his discipline, and Michael Conlon is in the top 4 of his. There is no clear cut evidence to suggest that he is 3rd or 4th, but rather the top 4 and a bronze medallist.

Was explained to me recently that its to do with Health and safety regulations within the sport regarding a knock out. If someone is knocked out they are not able to compete again within 24/48 hours (not sure exactly how long) hence the reason they cannot schedule another fight for people in case the small possiblity of a knock out

yes sour grapes on the russians part:D:D

ecoli wrote: »
    Was explained to me recently that its to do with Health and safety regulations within the sport regarding a knock out. If someone is knocked out they are not able to compete again within 24/48 hours (not sure exactly how long) hence the reason they cannot schedule another fight for people in case the small possiblity of a knock out

It's actually within 28 days that they cannot compete. Famous example was the LA games in 1984 when Hoyfield knocked out Kevin Barry from New Zealand in the semi final bout. Holyfield got a disqualification for a KO blow after the call for BREAK, but Barry then could not advance to contest the final as he was not allowed because of the KO he suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highcream

Personally,i believe that if the fight was in Russia Ochigava would have won.Same if Egan fight was in ireland or the uk.
    The judges scoring in amateur boxing seems to often be questionable.

walshb wrote: »
    I was not in agreement with the Egan affair at all. I thought we showed sour grapes there and I thought it was wholly wrong for certain officials etc to be claiming a robbery. Showed us up in a bad light. The Egan fight for me was a close fight that I thought Egan nicked, but it was not a robbery.

Ochigava's antics make Egans' seem tame. She was a cnut! Her rotten behaviour began even before the bout!

It was a close fight and the scoring reflected that-Katie definetly won and the Russian fought not to lose and not to win-if it went to count back Katie would have easily won, there is now way the Russian won outright so the best she could have hoped for was a count back.

Her style is everything that is wrong with the amateur scoring, bring back round scores based on aggression, defense, attacking and control just like the pro game, more hits does not even mean your dominant in reality-that's fencing.

highcream wrote: »
    Personally,i believe that if the fight was in Russia Ochigava would have won..

And it would have been a robbery. Very little room to argue a win for Sofya. Had it been on the old system she would have lost too.

The Olympic fight was on neutral ground with neutral judges. She has beaten Sofya 3/4 now. The only dubious decision was the 8-1 loss Taylor suffered. That by all accounts was a very poorly scored fight. Her world final a few months ago was also close but scored perfectly. Katie in the last two fights has simply outscored Sofya in the fairest of ways.

Sofya held on too much and did a few too many back punches, she should have lost more points for that. Katie was the better fighter and a gracious winner. First time I saw her rattled though, not able to eat or sleep beforehand (understandably).

I think overall, even with Paddy Barnes' recount, we were not sore losers at all, disappointed, but able to appear sportsmanly, say a good word about the other. Well not slander them.

Yes, Pis SOUR, I was aware we had two non boxing athletes that came FOURTH, grand, I'll have to look for the bunting. But we seemed to have a lot who were still running home when the world were finished the race and having their tae and sangwiches.

• Advertisement

Good girls go to heaven
    Bad girls go everywhere

Advertisement