Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X Mountain Lion

Options
  • 13-08-2012 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Just upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion a few days ago. So far I'm not very impressed. I have a MacBook Pro which had an excellent battery life with Snow Leopard but it has been halved since upgrading. Also, it is definitely running at a higher temperature than before. I don't think the new features are particularly interesting either.

What do others think? Are you glad you upgraded? Was it work the €16?

Hugo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

No - no mac product is worth the ridiculous over head for the mac badge.

Okay one exception - in professional setting where the mac is the best solution and a business is paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

I'd have to disagree with you on that. Macs and their firmware is far superior to Windows. Before I bought my MacBook, I was genuinely outraged by the fact that 3 months after buying a Windows laptop, it would be as glitchy and slow as the one I had just thrown in the bin. I have an iPhone 4 also, and Mountain Lion has been my first negative experience with an Apple product.

The only reason they're not buggy is the Hardware is so out of date every possible issue has been tested under Windows. If the Hardware was priced accordingly - e.g. a €1200 Mac cost what the Hardware cost + the OS cost + a mark up - say €500 I'd be all for them for people that want a just works computer and aren't worried about having powerful hardware.

This is what happens in any product when you allow a monopoly to develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Okay well I agree that they are overpriced, but due to the strength of their brand image, it is not surprising that apple are charging a higher price. Also, the high price itself is part of the entire brand image.

I genuinely commend Apple for being clever enough to recognise that the average consumer wants nothing more than a simple operating system that delivers smooth, fast performance. The Apple user interface and even the sleek design of the MacBooks are exactly what the average consumers are looking for. I am aware that Windows is capable of running extremely complex programmes and that the hardware is powerful but that is a major advantage for architects, engineers and other people who require the use of complex programmes on a daily basis. But for the average person who wants to look at youtube videos, type essays or surf the internet in a visually appealing manner, Apple are satisfying their needs.

I honestly look forward to using my Mac every day. I've had it about a year and a half now and the novelty still hasn't worn off. I know for a fact that if I was using a Windows laptop right now, it would have already crashed at least once and I would be constantly having to hit control-alt-delete even though it hasn't been doing anything particularly demanding!

For me, the price of my MacBook is completely justified.

I have several windows based machines and never get the problems mac users describe. That said I perhaps have more technical knowledge than the average consumer.

I have a pair of Bose headphone which I bought partly for the service - I probably could have got a pair that did the same for less so I do understand what you are saying.

The fact of the matter is you can buy 2.5 times the an equivalent spec PC so as I say to people - buy three PCs and keep two spare. Just my personal opinion. My only issue with the Mac cult is that if people keep paying over the odds Apple will keep charging it.

I'd also have no issue with Macs if you could buy the OS and install it on a machine you had built yourself without having to get the right card, from the right manufacturer, in the right colour manufactured on the right day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

I have several windows based machines and never get the problems mac users describe. That said I perhaps have more technical knowledge than the average consumer.

I have a pair of Bose headphone which I bought partly for the service - I probably could have got a pair that did the same for less so I do understand what you are saying.

The fact of the matter is you can buy 2.5 times the an equivalent spec PC so as I say to people - buy three PCs and keep two spare. Just my personal opinion. My only issue with the Mac cult is that if people keep paying over the odds Apple will keep charging it.

Whilst I love the lively debat between mac and windows users, I believe this thread is looking for people with first hand knowledge of the product and not trolls.

Anyways, to my own experience.

I had been away from mac for quite some time, was given an old mbp recently (mid 2007 model) and was running Lion at the time, when ML came out I downloaded it and immediately seen a massive difference in performance, so much so that it wasnt useable and I switched back to my windows laptop. That was until last week and I coughed up for a new 13"mbp. It came with lion on it, but the first thing I did was upgrade to ML.

I have to say that on this machine I notice that it does run quite warm at times, especially when doing anything that is processor intensive, like running Parallels. Battery wise, im getting close to the stated 7 hours on it so am pretty happy with that. I currently take it to work in the morning with a full charge, go home in the afternoon (only work p/t in office) and stick it on the charge for a bit whilst working at the desk and then take it off charge for the evening. I then let it charge overnight as I also run my timemachine backups at night and during the afternoon.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with ML, loving messages as wife and I are both on iPhones so its great to be able to "text" her from the laptop and have the full convo on screen. I also find notification centre handy as well as the seperate apps for reminders etc.

Whilst I love the lively debat between mac and windows users, I believe this thread is looking for people with first hand knowledge of the product and not trolls.

This was in the open computers forum and is my opinion. I wasn't rude to the OP and don't see why you would be rude to me. Unless of course you're unwilling to take criticism of a product you have? Seems to be par for the course. If you think I'm trolling report it - I would have ignored the post completely now its in here had it not been for your uncivil personal attack on me.

If the OP was only looking for unobjective opinions of current Mac owners I'm sure he would have posted here to start with. For the record I'm not a great fan of Windows either. What annoys me is OEMs that rip people off - Apple being the worst, but not only, offender.

This was in the open computers forum and is my opinion. I wasn't rude to the OP and don't see why you would be rude to me. Unless of course you're unwilling to take criticism of a product you have? Seems to be par for the course. If you think I'm trolling report it - I would have ignored the post completely now its in here had it not been for your uncivil personal attack on me.

If the OP was only looking for unobjective opinions of current Mac owners I'm sure he would have posted here to start with. For the record I'm not a great fan of Windows either. What annoys me is OEMs that rip people off - Apple being the worst, but not only, offender.

Ok, first things first, OP was asking for peoples experience with having upgraded to ML, I would think that is a very clear indicator that he is looking for feedback from people who have upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion, and not someone passively commenting on how they have paid too much for a name, which if you read your first comment, that is exactly what you are doing.

Secondly, if you feel I was being rude then that is your opinion and you are welcome to it, however I was pointing out that this was a thread asking for experience with upgrading to ML and you then came on here stating that you would never buy etc etc, that is a pretty close definition of a troll. You have come onto a thread that really does not concern you. Whilst you are entitled to your opinions about mac, maybe it would be best kept to a pc vs mac thread, which this is not. You have completely missed the point of this thread and now are acting offended at being called out.

Thirdly, and not that it has anything to do with you, but I will gladly stand by my purchase of apple hardware as I know for a fact that it will outlast a windows based equivalent. Yeah I may have paid more for what a windows laptop with similar spec would have cost, but there is also the fact that OS X is a damn site better of an OS than anything that MS could produce, and this is coming from someone who for a career supports windows machines and is currently studying for further microsoft certifications.

Finally, if I am being rude, then go ahead and report me for it, I'm simply saying it as I see it, this thread was started looking for experience others have had since upgrading to Mountain Lion, and you came on here and slated the product with what appears to be zero first hand experience, please, prove me wrong on that.

I wont drag this any further off topic buy responding to your Mac v PC comments. This was in the open computers forum and I responded with my opinion. As for the thread being nothing to do with me I can respond to any thread I see fit. I do not see fit to come into the Mac forum as I can't stand the OS - the OP asked for a judgment on the value of something. You were the one who was rude and called me a troll you could have just made your comments without being rude - your posting style is you own and people can judge it for themselves.

• Advertisement

Just upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion a few days ago. So far I'm not very impressed. I have a MacBook Pro which had an excellent battery life with Snow Leopard but it has been halved since upgrading. Also, it is definitely running at a higher temperature than before. I don't think the new features are particularly interesting either.

What do others think? Are you glad you upgraded? Was it work the €16?

Jay Delightful Shoplifter

Ok, this is the last time I am going to address the issue (I hope and pray).

The part from the OP that i have put in bold says it all, "What do others think? Are you glad you upgraded? Was it work(worth) the 16" That simple line states that he is looking for experiences of people that have upgraded to Mountain Lion, NOT peoples opinions on mac in general. Now please, tell me how your post was valid in that context!

Very little point in debating with a Fanboi in the Mac forum. He asked whether it was worth it. I gave my opinion based on my limited knowledge of Apples anti competitive business practices. Stating my opinion was wrong is one thing. I called you out for being an asshat - I can see I was right. I think it's best we just stick each other on ignore.

OP Sorry for dragging your post OT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thread has been completely derailed.

OP, either start a new thread or use the existing Mountain Lion thread further down the page.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement