Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats A Girl to do in West Limerick

Options
  • 13-08-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi there, recently joined boards.ie for a bit of help. I have moved to newcastle west in recent weeks and i can't find anything to do in the evenings!!! seems strange, maybe i'm looking in the wrong places. Any help at all out there would be great as i'm struggling big time! not much money, starting out, to join gyms etc.

Dont suppose there are any walking clubs in the evening time or a website that i could find out more information?

Many thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

I think the best thing you could possibly do for yourself is to get out of ncw while you still can.

It's a dead town.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Go up to the demense - massive public park, plenty of people walking, try the community hall lots of groups advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

If your into the outdoors lots of great running, walking and cycling paths

Evening courses http://www.lcfe.ie/EVENING-PROGRAMMES.aspx

also this place is great if your into arts and cinema http://www.belltable.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

sorry the two links are more for Limerick city but worth the commute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Give these a shout
    http://www.westlimerickac.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 collinseliza

Thanks for all your help, it's very helpful...perhaps not so much the "get out of newcastle west" part!!!!! but i'm gonna assume that your intentions are good!

Any more events would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all your help, it's very helpful...perhaps not so much the "get out of newcastle west" part!!!!! but i'm gonna assume that your intentions are good!

Any more events would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Mossess wrote: »

Unfortunately, WestLimerick AC do most of their training in Limerick city,specifically UL on a Tuesday night.

How about doing some volunteering op?I know there are a good few day and youth centres in ncw that are always looking for volunteers.

ALSO,I often see walking/cycling events on the great southern trail. They usually start in Rathkeale and head back in ncw direction: http://southerntrail.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 misswhat

Join a ladies soccer team in the area, I'm a coach and we're always welcoming new players :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

misswhat wrote: »
    Join a ladies soccer team in the area, I'm a coach and we're always welcoming new players :)

Whatt team do you coach misswhat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 querty1234

I am also just after moving to NCW and looking for something to do... maybe interested in joining a ladies soccer/football team if they are open...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

querty1234 wrote: »
    I am also just after moving to NCW and looking for something to do... maybe interested in joining a ladies soccer/football team if they are open...

Living in newcastlewest with herself for the last couple of years and herself has the same problem....shes not into sport so joining teams etc is out and aside from that there dont seem to be too many options in ncw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

panda100 wrote: »
    ALSO,I often see walking/cycling events on the great southern trail. They usually start in Rathkeale and head back in ncw direction: http://southerntrail.net/

Was about to post this. Great facility for walking, jogging, cycling. Trail is in good condition and safe from speeding traffic, apart from the well signposted road crossings, where a bit of care is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

West Limerick 102fm have a radio course on on thursday evenings at 6.30pm, may be ending in the next few weeks. they show you how a radio station runs. the station is based in the industrial park across from lidl. the two lads in charge are brilliant and know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Sailing in Foynes Yacht Club 12 miles away is another great activity - good social life with it too. It's nearly over for this year but you can call on a Sunday afternoon and you might get out on a boat, most crews are very friendly and extra crewmembers are welcome - there's even a structured trainee programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

There are usually various evening courses running at the Desmond College around this time of the year, although I haven't noticed too much advertising this year - maybe due to the recession, as usual. Another place to look would be the notices in the local library in NCW.

I presume you'll have done the obvious and checked out the Limerick newspapers - Limerick Leader/Observer/Post.

Heard something on the radio this morning about a site www.meetup.com - that lists groups of people getting together (in assorted towns/counties) for various activities (hopefully all legal!) and that if there isn't something you want to do listed, then start up a group yourself, in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

I thought I'd give this thread a bump, to see if anyone else has any ideas on what to do in West Limerick, I know apart from volunteering I struggle to find things to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pokethebear

Try the jogging group, meets up every Tuesday @6.30pm and Thursday@6.15pm in the Demense Car Park/stone bridge. Its for all abilities, seperate groups from being able to jog for just one minute to longer runs. All wmen, many in a similar situation to yours. It is run by a guy called Michael Cussen, the group is run under the fit fo life program. It is up on facebook and mike is very approachble and does an excellent job of coordinating it all. Unlike an athletics club it is not competitive, just for fun and meeting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Theres a stitch and bitch group in the community centre every Tue evening, also there's Toastmasters in NCW, there is a car boot sale every month and the local radio station are always looking for volunteers, as are Foroige and the local Scout troop.. There are evening classes in the Desmond Complex and Desmond college and there are various fitness classes around, as well as a payg aqua aerobics in Killeline Leisure. There is also a local walking group and the Athletics club train in Newcastle West every week as well as U.L.. You should give West Limerick Resources and Desmond Complex a ring and see if they have any groups or classes starting this month too.. The library also advertises upcoming classes/events.. Hope this helps.
    I moved to NCW 4 years ago and I love it here, disagree that its a dead town, quite the opposite if you have a positive attitude. Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Their is a cycling group that meet on the weekend outside the motel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

There's a film club in Desmond Complex the first Friday of each month. It's great to meet new people who like you, are looking for something different to do. The next screening is on Friday Nov 1st. They have a facebook page.

Link ?

wow this page has certainly had a re-bump!! great to hear so much going on, i'm out of town at the mo but back again in a few weeks so i'll be certainly chasing up on a few of these!! thanks everyone!
    One quick question about the fit for life....what is there FB page called? i wonder are there set times when you ppl can join?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

Advertisement