Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Classes in Galway

Options
  • 13-08-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm going into 5th year in a few weeks and I was wondering if Leaving Cert Japanese is offered in any part of Galway as an extra subject outside of school. I've heard of some places offering classes but haven't been able to find any information so if anybody is able to help me, that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

These are the schools in Galway offering Japanese, you could try contact them and get grinds with the teacher?

Mercy College, Tuam, Galway
    Presentation College, Galway

Otherwise, just take Japanese classes in the city and buy the LC book and study outside on your own too?

Best of luck with it, it's a great subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 EKeaveney

Otherwise, just take Japanese classes in the city and buy the LC book and study outside on your own too?
    Thanks very much for the information but I just have a few questions for you.

Do you know any places in the city where classes are offered? Also, what is the name of LC book?

This is the LC textbook, Nihongo Kantan, it's written by Ursala Zimmermann the chief examiner, http://www.authentik.ie/books/japanese-books/Nihongo-Kantan/

This place did offer Japanese classes in Galway, classes are due to demand though I imagine, so express your interest! http://www.galwaylanguage.com/foreign.asp

This place did offer Japanese classes in Galway, classes are due to demand though I imagine, so express your interest! http://www.galwaylanguage.com/foreign.asp
    I recently e-mailed them about their classes, they don't qualify it as part of the Leaving Cert course and it only serves as an introduction to the language.

I know, that's why I suggested you get the book and continue studying otherwise? Loads of candidates sit the exam without ever having had a lesson.

The standard for the exam isn't very high, I'd imagine almost all of the material covered in those classes will be of use to you.

• Advertisement

I know, that's why I suggested you get the book and continue studying otherwise? Loads of candidates sit the exam without ever having had a lesson.

The standard for the exam isn't very high, I'd imagine almost all of the material covered in those classes will be of use to you.
    Alright, thanks very much for the information. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

There was a woman who taught Leaving Cert Japanese in Galway (I think she was also the person who taught it in Tuam as she lived there) but due to lack of interest she ended up having to return to Japan. :(

There are Leaving Cert Japanese classes being held in Galway free of charge. The deadline for registration is Friday, the 21st of September and if sufficient numbers be received by this date, classes will commence in Galway. Registration is at languagesinitiative.ie

Advertisement