Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE waiting lists

Options
  • 12-08-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey
    Is it normal to be on a waiting list for more than 12 months? I'm in need of an operation it's not like a super serious one where I have to stay in I'll be in and out in a day, but the doctor said it was urgent in her letter to the HSE. I'm only 15 so do they prioritise older people or something? She sent the letter last september after we visited a private consultant ( didn't fancy waiting months for an appointment) and he said to get this operation but when my patents heard the price they almost needed heart surgery :') will I be on it for much longer? Is there any place I can enquire about it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kwearykoru

Google National treatment purchase fund. I think you have to be seen by a hospital doctor and put on the list first before the waiting time starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Really depends on what the surgery is. Some orthopaedic surgeries have ridiculously long waiting list.
    Unfortunately its the way the system in the country works. You really shouldnt be waiting that long and youre right to feel hard done by, but nothing seems to get through to the guys heading up the HSE.
    As the above poster said the NTPF is there to ensure that waiting times are not 'too long' so if youre on the list for more than 12 months you should be able to get your operation privately at the hospital you registered withs expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is the NTPF still in existence? I thought it was to be abolished in the last Budget. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Is the NTPF still in existence? I thought it was to be abolished in the last Budget. :mad:
    It was abolished and is no longer active . Waiting lists are now under the remit of the special delivery unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Urgent means nothing on a letter, waste of ink.

6+ years of a wait if it's orthopedic.

Only way to bypass a long wait is to land into A&E in pain (whether you are or not)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Write a letter to the doctor who put you on the list. Ask for an update on your situation. Don't forget to state all the reasons you originally required the operation, and add how your condition impacts on your life at the moment.

Legally they have to read it, add it to your file, and reply to it. It will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Write a letter to the doctor who put you on the list. Ask for an update on your situation. Don't forget to state all the reasons you originally required the operation, and add how your condition impacts on your life at the moment.

Legally they have to read it, add it to your file, and reply to it. It will help.

I doubt that would help, tbh. it certainly wouldn't in my service anyway(altho my waiting lists are in the region of 3-4 weeks so this issue generally doesn't arise).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Xeyn

Urgent means nothing on a letter, waste of ink.

6+ years of a wait if it's orthopedic.

Only way to bypass a long wait is to land into A&E in pain (whether you are or not)

This is not good advice. If a procedure is elective then it will remain elective and showing up at your A+E without a genuine emergency is a waste of peoples time and resources. If however you do genuinely have a problem then an elective procedure can become 'urgent' or even an emergency and be done quicker.
    Depending on what the problem is pain alone is unlikely to have any effect other than you wasting your A+E admission cost.
    The problem is with the system and the HSE and it wont get any better any time soon due to the fact the country is broke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Hey
    Is it normal to be on a waiting list for more than 12 months? I'm in need of an operation it's not like a super serious one where I have to stay in I'll be in and out in a day, but the doctor said it was urgent in her letter to the HSE. I'm only 15 so do they prioritise older people or something? She sent the letter last september after we visited a private consultant ( didn't fancy waiting months for an appointment) and he said to get this operation but when my patents heard the price they almost needed heart surgery :') will I be on it for much longer? Is there any place I can enquire about it? Thanks

Yep its normal I have an appointment to see a consultant in 2014:mad:

They really are taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

Hey
    Is it normal to be on a waiting list for more than 12 months?

i know that this thread is ancient, but nonetheless:

e2eb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

ENT waiting lists are ridiculous everywhere. Reason - there aren't enough ENT surgeons.

Just looking at the date that letter was written ad the reply by date - not giving any room for late delivery or people away on holidays, pretty cynical stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The NTPF is still going.
    I know someone who was referred to ENT in a private hospital last summer by the HSE under the Ntpf as they were on the waiting list four years.

http://www.ntpf.ie/home/nwld.htm

Advertisement