Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC radio 5 mw reception

Options
  • 13-08-2012 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

my uncle is looking to buy a small portable hand held radio that will give him decent bbc radio 5 reception.
    i know the reception he gets on his €5 euro radio is crappy at the moment (hes in the midlands)
    q. if he was to buy a better portable radion eg the roberst sports R995? i think in the argos catalogue costs about 45 quid, would u expect better reception, or is it a case that becsuse of where he is there aint much he can do. internet radio not an option.

thanks all.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9238282.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Even the reception on the east coast isnt the best on a small radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭decies

If Internet not a option , I wouldn't bother op to be honest. I can remember about 25 years ago they changed all the bbc frequencies with the result that they never came in as loud and clear as they use to. Thankfully Internet radio means clear five live to me. Has he UPC or sky he could listen to that station on those platforms if it was any good for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I live on the wicklow coast and can say on a low powered radio, R5-Live is pretty weak.

I too wouldnt bother with it.
    The level of static and interference would make it unenjoyable to use.

The cheapest Android smartphone & "Tune-in" app will do a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Tune in app is excellent. The Roberts radio mentioned above has awful MW reception IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Satellite shoud be better than Internet as there would not be any rights based restrictions; Internet radio being received other than through a UK based ip address will have restrictions on certain live sports commentaries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

True, but is there any portable radios that can receive such a transmission?

Advertisement